Cache Safety?

CCrew

I'd like an opinion here...

If you got to the final point of a multi-stage cache, only to find that it's on the edge of the shoulder on a heavily trafficked 55mph 4 lane road, would you consider it safe? If not, what would you do?

I'm just curious. Struck me as a bit unsafe for many, but just may be a personal opinion. I'd appreciate others thoughts. Dropped a note to the cache owner, as I personally wasn't impressed.

Sometimes a majority only means that all the fools are on the same side

I'd email the owner and ask him to verify my answers to his clues. If the previous stage gave the exact coords for the side of the road, then that would be considered unsafe. It could have been a typo on his part, so again I'd email the owner to verify. Let him know where you ended up.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Thanks... I'm sure the last stage is correct, as it was a calculated accumulation of info from 4 previous stages, and the last had me at a designated place as was described in the cache description looking for the last part. Co-ordinates were dead on, so I believe this location was by design, and indeed correct..

Without giving away the cache, it was a multi-stage virtual with the last and final stage requiring obtaining a date off a stone marker that could only be read by stopping and exiting the car to view. calculated co-ordinates put me at the marker, so I'd venture to say it was correct.

All the previous stages were similar in design, but all had ample, safe parking at them or nearby. While maybe fine for some, we exclusively cache with three children ages 10, 11, and 14, so safety is always a concern.

That does sound dangerous. I cache with my kids also (ages 6,4,2) and would not want them standing on the side of a busy road like that. There is a virtual around here that is on a similar road. However, in my case the marker is 30 feet from the shoulder, not on it.

Since it's a multicache, why not have it end up at a container further from the road? That last marker could tell you how many feet to walk away from the road or something.

Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

Originally posted by Wanderingson and Compass Rose:

That wasn't the ole' "High Speed Dodge 'em" cache was it.]

I think it was the "Frogger Cache" placed by G.L.C., owner of the High Score

"I'm 35 Years old, I am divorced, and I live in van down by the river!" - Matt Foley

If you think that it's not safe, don't go look for it. It's all up to your sense and wisdom.

However, the personal responsibility part being out of the way, I think that it stinks that its the last stage of a multi. Perhaps a note on the cache page would be nice. It also seems to violate my personal rule for determining a quality cache placement "Is it in a place that people would want to visit for some reason?" Who would want to visit a highway shoulder?

Mickey

Max Entropy

More than just a name, a lifestyle.

Definitly notify the cache owner about your concerns.

Two weeks ago I notified the owner of a local cache about the possiblilty of getting an electrical shock seeking out that cache. I also posted an encoded warning about my concern on the cache page, with a clear language notification to read it if you cache with kids.

The owner took responsibility for the problem and corrected it within a few days. It turned out condidtions at the site had changed since he placed the cache there.

The Quack Cacher:

Lone Duck

When you don't know where you're going, every road will take you there.