What do you think of my new sig item?

O'Clan

quote:
Originally posted by Woodsters Outdoors:

Is that a picture of whats on the pin or the actual pin? Looks like just a graphic. How much are the lapel pins running?

Brian

That's a pic of what will be on the pin; BTW, I ordered 100 icon_eek.gif

They're $1.50 US each

I'm psyched as heck over it!!

That's very nice, but why would someone want to wear a pin with your name on it? Shouldn't it say Texas Geocaching or something to promote the sport?

Ever consider what our dogs must think of us? I mean, here we come back from a grocery store with the most amazing haul -- chicken, pork, half a cow. They must think we're the greatest hunters on earth!

http://www.geocities.com/cacheinon

It's just a sig item huntn lady....would be surprised to see someone wearing it on their lapel actually other than them...some people do collect lapel pics and that would be a neat thing. I like the idea as well as the patch one...I just wish they were embroidered patches...I collect police patches, pins and etc and would love to get something made up like those...hmmm perhaps the "GeoPolice!"

Brian

As long as you're going to think anyway, think big. -Donald Trump

Well, yea, I would expect *some* people to wear it (sometimes).. If I found one I would certainly put it on my cap or my backpack and wear it while I was caching.

Put something in the cache that you would like to find.......

My Jeans say Levis, my shoes say addida, my t-shirt says geocaching.com, my cap says disneyland (plus the buttons I have found while geocaching)... no problem...

Personally, I think it's pretty cool, and not at all unusual. But if someone doesn't want it then that's ok too..

Oh, and it also says "Geocache"... icon_biggrin.gif

I think it's fine, too. We just finished our signature items as well (Geo tattoos and magnets that have the logo, Geocaching, and our name -Kealia- on them).

I expect that the people that want to collect signature items will understand why the names are on them.

Nice job.

I love the idea of signature items! I think its a great little collectible and "remember when we found this one" item. I find that I'd rather pick up something like that at a cache for a souviener than a regular dollar item trinket. Not that the dollar items aren't okay, I've left odds and ends too, but this stuff is great. Thank you for sharing it with us. I've been looking for economical ideas for a sig item, and this may be the one!!!!

Cool! I'd also like to recommend another alternitive for other folks creating signature items.

The badge-a-minit kits are relatively inexpensive and you can make all the buttons you want. There are other kits out there... I just grabbed one of the first ones off a google search.

frog.gif Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Thanks for the plug, Dave! My buttons are licensed by geocaching.com and can be seen here

I can tell you from experience that your hands will get very tired indeed from pressing with the inexpensive kits and messing with the various rings and productions steps. It's difficult to press hard enough to keep the buttons together, too. The bench press or semi-automatic system works much better, but is expensive. I use a semi-automatic system that seals the buttons tight without a lot of hand or upper body strength.

And, of course, the button is only as attractive as the design. I generally don't charge an art fee and am happy to try to please you by either creating something unique or fleshing out your own ideas.

Most of the buttons on my page are designed for general use and I originally felt the same as some of you about buttons with names on them -- but I've changed my mind. I've received many emails from people who are collecting these signature items.

52813_3100.gif

I scanned the site, but can't see your actual pin. Either way, good for you for choosing a personal item to leave behind. We are working up a signature item ourselves and like your pin idea. I have bookmarked the page for when we come up with a logo. I, for one, would appreciate finding such an item, certainly more than if I were to find the "heathen McDonald's Toy" I keep reading about. (My kids like 'em!)

http://home.swbell.net/odonnel1/miscImages/ODonnelFinal.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by O'Clan:

quote:
Originally posted by Huntnlady:

That's very nice, but why would someone want to wear a pin with your name on it? Shouldn't it say Texas Geocaching or something to promote the sport?

Just conceited I guess icon_biggrin.gif

I know I'm late to reply, we are new to this cool adventure of yours. I wouldn't wear the pin on my shirt either, but I would certainly stick it on my back pack. As a "virgin" I am proud and excited to let others know about the sport of geocaching. I consider my pack a kewl place to post info or logos. My hubby wears a hundred difreent hats, and I'm sure he'll pick one as his "Cache Hat" and slap all the pins or patches on there! Happy Caching to you!

Badge-a-minit pins are neat, but a cache we found a couple of weeks ago was damp inside (just from condensation) and the pin inside was basically ruined, with the colors running and the paper looking warped. Keep in mind where you might be placing the pins, or use something more waterproof. We were travelling light (vacation) so we didn't have any zip-lock bags or the little silica packets (do those really do any good?). I would rather see the lapel pins, and yes, I would trade for one, and place it on my backpack, hat or hubby's vest. icon_wink.gif

I'm not criticizing honeychile's pins, just be mindful of the moisture that builds up in the caches, and place cache items in a plastic bag inside the cache container. I have seen the designs on the website, and they are neat!