funny.... maybe not... i dunno...

shabbasuraj

You fellas hear about that guy who was lost at sea (Pacific) for 4 months? They just found him a few days ago. The guy set off from Long Beach California, and a storm came and broke his mast and he ended up near Costa Rica!!!

http://www.cnn.com/2002/WORLD/sailing/09/25/sailor.saved/index.html

I was just thinking this guy is the perfect spokesperson for a gps company. It is wrong to laugh at other peoples misfortunes but...Man I think the guy deserves some sort of notoriety for his untimely misfortune.

Come on Garmin or Magellan, pay this guy and put him in a commercial or two.

or perhaps not....

maybe he can be a special guest on survivor...

this guy would win ...

I hope...

lates....

Just sit right back and you'll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip,

That started in this tropic port, aboard this tiny ship.

The mate was a mighty sailin' man, the Skipper brave and sure.

Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour. A three hour tour.

The weather started getting rough, the tiny ship was tossed.

If not for the courage of the fearless crew, the Minnow would be lost.

The Minnow would be lost.

The ship set ground on the shore of this uncharted desert isle,

with Gilligan, the Skipper too, the Millionaire

and his wife, the movie star, the Professor

and Mary Ann, here on Gilligan's Isle.

25021_1200.gif

What good is a GPS if you can't steer the darned boat? The article said he appeared to be an accomplished sailor- if he COULD have moved the boat, he could probably steer by the sun and stars accurately enough to hit the coast sooner than it took for someone to find him.

Now, once they make 2-way GPS, with a 'call for help' signal... then we've got ourselves a spokesman!

I walk the Maze of Moments, but everywhere I turn to, begins a new beginning, but never finds a finish..

quote:
Now, once they make 2-way GPS, with a 'call for help' signal... then we've got ourselves a spokesman!

They have emergency radio beacons that can be set off which will sent out a distress signal. Have seen manual ones as well as ones that work when they get submerged as in a sinking ship.

I can't figure out why more people don't use them, cheap price to pay compared to the price of a sailboat.

Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up.

quote:
Originally posted by Pfaffenhausen:

Ok, has anyone ever heard of the "Darwin Awards" I'm too lazy to read the article, but I think he definately qualifies as a runner up. ¿y tu?

"DON'T KILL IT! It's doesn't speak Spanish!"

Actually I don't really think the guy did anything stupid to get himself stuck like that.

Sounds like he had a run of bad luck. If nothing else the fact that he survived shows he couldn't of been that dumb. I don't think I would have done as well in his position.

-------------------------------------

Hope is the destination that we seek.

Love is the road that leads to hope.

Courage is the motor that drives us.

We travel out of darkness into faith.

-=The Book Of Counted Sorrows=-

Yep, a call for help feature would have been necessary for him on a GPSr - his radio wasn't working, so knowing his position wouldn't have helped a whole lot on an uncontrollable sailboat. icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't qualify him as a Darwin candidate though, since it wasn't his own action that brought about the storm that snapped the mast.

How about his food choices though? Fish, seagulls, turtles, and rain water collected in a bucket. I know his choices were limited, but seagull...

Yep, a call for help feature would have been necessary for him on a GPSr - his radio wasn't working, so knowing his position wouldn't have helped a whole lot on an uncontrollable sailboat. icon_smile.gif

I wouldn't qualify him as a Darwin candidate though, since it wasn't his own action that brought about the storm that snapped the mast.

How about his food choices though? Fish, seagulls, turtles, and rain water collected in a bucket. I know his choices were limited, but seagull...

He had a broken mast and once rescued they found his boat could not be repaired, so he allowed the men on the ship that rescued him to set his boat afire so it would not be left to drift alone across the sea without him. A touching farewell for the craft that kept him afloat long enough to be rescued. He clubbed a turtle with a baseball bat and grilled it for dinner and ate fish, plenty of fish. He's lucky he didn't drift into that section of ocean where due to the constant temperature the algae doesn't grow so no fish live there. Not that I know if he was anywhere near there, just something I saw in a documentary the other night.

Cache you later,

Planet

quoted by Jamie Z:

quote:
quote:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Originally posted by Web-ling:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I prefer the ending with the "...and the rest" line.

NAH, The Professor and Mary Ann sounds much better!!! Besides, that Mary Ann is so cute! She would have given Mitsuko a run for her money icon_wink.gif

Seriously, this guy did have some baaaaad luck with his trip, however, anyone that does decide to try something like this is kinda asking for trouble to my notion!

quoted by Jamie Z:

quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Web-ling:

I prefer the ending with the "...and the rest" line.

NAH, The Professor and Mary Ann sounds much better!!! Besides, that Mary Ann is so cute! She would have given Mitsuko a run for her money icon_wink.gif

Seriously, this guy did have some baaaaad luck with his trip, however, anyone that does decide to try something like this is kinda asking for trouble to my notion!