Caching in MI state hunting areas

Well, I'm from Michigan and I'm not really sure.

Just because it would be a virtual doesn't make it lame, it would entirely depend on just how special these places are that you're thinking about.

If they were interesting and if there was some special challenge to get there, I might be interested in paying them a visit.

"The hardest thing to find is something that's not there!"

WEll, what do you mean by state hunting land?

Wildlife and game areas are off limits to any caches in MI.

Be very very careful on the virtual thing as you can see from other posts around here that they're just not worth it. Besides that you can be creative and place a micro or any sorts of caches instead of the virt. You could also include that "virt" location into a multi cache. That way it gets viewed which is the important thing but it isn't standing on its own.

Come check out http://www.mi-geocaching.org too if you haven't yet

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching without a clue....

No traditionals at all on State Game areas, unfortunately.

It's still open season on Virts though. If the area would typically make a good virtual I say go ahead and submit.

Traditionals in game areas are evaluated in a like manner to those not in game areas though. Meaning... just because it's in a game area and traditionals are not allowed in game areas does not excuse it from needing to be unique.

So yeah, if it's interesting/unique/compelling to you... I say go ahead and submit it.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Saving geocaches - one golf ball at a time.

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:

Is it really true that no traditional geocaches can be placed on Michigan State Recreation Areas? Where is this written? That's very disappointing. I would have thought that these recreation areas would be ideal for this activity (except for the hazards of hunting seasons and the possible disturbance we might inflict on the hunters.)

quote:
Originally posted by Don&Betty:

Is it really true that no traditional geocaches can be placed on Michigan State Recreation Areas?

No, Rec Areas are okay, but they ask that you get permission first. It's just the Game Areas that are off-limits.

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

quote:
Originally posted by Don&Betty:

quote:

Is it really true that no traditional geocaches can be placed on Michigan State Recreation Areas? Where is this written? That's very disappointing. I would have thought that these recreation areas would be ideal for this activity (except for the hazards of hunting seasons and the possible disturbance we might inflict on the hunters.)

The caches were great there too. Cubic Madness was a blast. It has been relocated, but the original area it was in was perfect for caching. We lost some great areas here in Michigan.

Make a sanity check.migo_sig_logo.jpg

It's true. MiGO received an official letter from the DNR in April. There are topics a-plenty on this here and on the MiGO site.

Technically you're not supposed to do anything but hunt or fish on those lands I guess.

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

It's true. MiGO received an official letter from the DNR in April. There are topics a-plenty on this here and on the MiGO site.

Technically you're not supposed to do anything but hunt or fish on those lands I guess.

Wait. It's true that rec areas are off-limits to traditional caches?

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

Well the mountain was so beautiful that this guy built a mall and a pizza shack

Yeah he built an ugly city because he wanted the mountain to love him back -- Dar Williams

Nope. I was sleeping or something when I wrote that.

It's fine in State Rec areas and State Parks. Permission is encouraged and at least at Yankee Springs the rangers seem to be very happy to assist cachers in placing them.

Sorry for the scare!

--------

trippy1976 - Team KKF2A

Flat_MiGeo_A88.gif