Movies/Books in the Geocaching Spirit

I think the most obvious is "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World". There have been psuedo-remakes of it, including the recent "Rat Race". There was also the hideous "Million Dollar Mystery", which had a real treasure hunt promo attached to it.

Then there's my favorite, "Midnight Madness", a cheesy 80s movie about a road rally (the follow-the-clues kind, not the timed driving kind). That was Michael J Fox's first movie. This movie is probably why I'm geocaching today.

Any other favorites?

[This message was edited by dinoprophet on August 13, 2002 at 10:51 AM.]

How about the X-Files movie where Mulder leaves behind the coords of where he is going? And the X-Files episode where Mulder finds a location using a GPS? Or songs - Jimmy Buffet (Changes in Attitudes, Changes is Latitudes? And we have already beat "The Mole" to death (kinda) but that was very cool too!! And that famous folk song, "I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my plastic GPS - sittin' on the dashboard of my truck!" (yeah - I know)... icon_wink.gif

Does the walker choose the path, or the path, the walker? - Sabriel, by Garth Nix

How about the X-Files movie where Mulder leaves behind the coords of where he is going? And the X-Files episode where Mulder finds a location using a GPS? Or songs - Jimmy Buffet (Changes in Attitudes, Changes is Latitudes? And we have already beat "The Mole" to death (kinda) but that was very cool too!! And that famous folk song, "I don't care if it rains or freezes, long as I got my plastic GPS - sittin' on the dashboard of my truck!" (yeah - I know)... icon_wink.gif

Does the walker choose the path, or the path, the walker? - Sabriel, by Garth Nix

quote:
And that famous folk song

There's the folk song "One Tin Soldier". "Took peace on earth, left pair of dice". Or would that have been a virtual?

My family has a separate username, Finn Family Moomintroll, which I took from the Moomin books by Tove Jannson, translated from Finnish. They have strong environmental themes and often involve quests. They're none too fond of overrestrictive park managers, either (excerpt).

Just saw this one again over the weekend with some friends who were still a bit confused about what geocaching is. In the end when he found the box I said "That's what geocaching is, except you have coordinates and use a GPS to find it." After that they seemed to understand. One even wants to try it!

goldfish.gif

"The trail will be long and full of frustrations. Life is a whole and good and evil must be accepted together"

Ralph Abele

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

As mentioned in the previous threads, both Shawshank and Goonies are more Letterboxing that Geocaching. No GPS was used, just clues. icon_wink.gif

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

Yeah, but what do you think they'll use in THIS MOVIE?

I'm almost ashamed to admit I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

quote:
Originally posted by Markwell:

As mentioned in the previous threads, both Shawshank and Goonies are more Letterboxing that Geocaching. No GPS was used, just clues. icon_wink.gif

http://www.markwell.us

http://www.chicagogeocaching.com

Yeah, but what do you think they'll use in THIS MOVIE?

I'm almost ashamed to admit I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Bret

"The kingdom of heaven is like treasure hidden in a field.

When a man found it, he hid it again."

Mt. 13:44

If you're looking for an etertaining series about treasure hunting, I would definitely recommend Clive Cussler, particularly his series of "Dirk Pitt" novels. Action, adventure, serious treasure hunting.....everything the active Geocacher could want.

"When I was a young man, I journeyed to the West to find myself......it turns out I had the wrong coordinates."

Has anyone else seen the scene in LOTR where the 4 Hobbits hide under the tree roots when the dark rider is looking for them? All I can think of is Great Place to hide a cache. Also what about a Foot Fungus Cache where those huge stone dudes are on each side of the river.

On Harry Potter I thought about a cache in the yellow school bus floating up the river but then I was reminded it would be a moving cache and you couldn't get coordinates! Anyway, you can see the bus in the scene where Harry and Hagrid first come into London after leaving the hut in the sea.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Hamsters - buy 2 get 10 free!

Draykoh, Yorik, Senyth, Harry, Hermione, Ron, Rubeus, Minerva, Ginny, Jumper, Pounce, Lenny, Squiggy, Micro-Sprite, Midgey and our much loved Boru (RIP)

How could I forget this one...

The cigar box with all the 'cache items' in it in the opening credits -- made up of items Boo Radley hid in the hollow tree in front of his house.

When I first started geocaching I threw ALL the items I collected from caches in an old cigar box. One day I was showing a friend everything I had found and he commented that it reminded him of that movie. Funny thing is my cache collection had some of the same items in Boo's cache.

- pocket watch

- marble

- pocket knife

- coins

icon_smile.gif For a while I toyed with the idea of creating a theme cache based on the movie.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

How could I forget this one...

The cigar box with all the 'cache items' in it in the opening credits -- made up of items Boo Radley hid in the hollow tree in front of his house.

When I first started geocaching I threw ALL the items I collected from caches in an old cigar box. One day I was showing a friend everything I had found and he commented that it reminded him of that movie. Funny thing is my cache collection had some of the same items in Boo's cache.

- pocket watch

- marble

- pocket knife

- coins

icon_smile.gif For a while I toyed with the idea of creating a theme cache based on the movie.

Jolly R. Blackburn

http://kenzerco.com

I've always felt like the movie The Game, starring Michael Douglas, has a Geocaching-ish feel to it. It must be all the running around and solving puzzles. I'm actually setting up an event cache at the end of this month that is loosly based on The Game. Should be fun...

-fractal

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

N 45° 30.ish

W 122° 58.ish