A Brief History We Have-- and How many of us?

Guest Chris Juricich

Guest Chris Juricich

pushing the envelope but hobby isn't quite 'it' either) seems to have mushroomed-- do we know how many are doing this?

How many are registered on these message boards? Jeremy?

Guest Markwell

1138 registerd in the forums at 20:00 CDT on 7/11 (front page of the Groundspeak Forums).

From the "About Geocaching" page, same time:

"As of today, there are 3613 active caches in 57 countries.

In the last 7 days, there have been 3083 new logs written by 1285 account holders."

Amazing, ain't it?!

Guest jeremy

Over 14,000 accounts on the Geocaching.com site (we now get around 1k new accounts a week). Garmin believes there are around 30-50k people actually playing now. Given the groups and folks that do not create accounts, that seems possible.

Last month the geocaching.com site received over 1.3 million pageviews (not hits). By the rate of visitors this month I expect over 1.5 million easy. Sunday, for instance, was the busiest day... and there was no *significant* news (there was news, just not enough to make these kind of numbers).

There are a lot of creative folks playing the sport today, which means it will get even better with age. I already had to separate the site into two machines to handle the traffic.

Awesome! icon_wink.gif

Jeremy

1138 registerd in the forums at 20:00 CDT on 7/11 (front page of the Groundspeak Forums).<BR><BR>From the "About Geocaching" page, same time:<BR><BR>"As of today, there are 3613 active caches in 57 countries.<BR>In the last 7 days, there have been 3083 new logs written by 1285 account holders."<BR><BR>Amazing, ain't it?!

What seemed amazing then is truly amazing today.

El Diablo

As of today, there are 3613 active caches in 57 countries...

I'm not sure what that means -- there are a lot more than 3613 active caches I think. There are around 50,000 or so listed, and I would think the majority of those are not archived. I guess "active" could mean "found in the last X days" or something...

Look at the date BeachBuddies.

Edited by GeoFool