why only garmin and magellin?

Maybe it's just a Coke/Pepsi thing. Garmin is the Coke of the GPSr world and Magellin is the Pepsi.

Lowrance would be the RC cola. Even though it might taste better than Coke or Pepsi, it just doesn't have the market presence that the big two have.

I stopped at the local Bass Pro Shop a couple weekends ago and looked at their electronics case. Almost all Garmins and Magellins, with maybe one Lowrance model. If you were a first-time buyer who didn't know all that much about GPSr's, which would you buy?

icon_wigogeocaching.gif chezpic.gif

When I was looking I emailed a few places with ?'s. I wanted either a Magellan or a Lowrance. The two responses I got recommended Lowrance for water navigation and the Mag for land because of the maps. I was more interested in topo's so I got the Magellan.

No Matter Where You Go... There You Are...

I have a Lowrance Global Map 100 and love it. I also have a Garmin Legend that I regret buying, but still use occasionally. The Garmin gets lousy reception under canopy but the Lowrance has never failed me. The only advantage I see with the Garmin is the small size and light weight.

By the way, the Lowrance has a decent base map and was $160 cheaper too!

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"He who hesitates is lost"

Mag 315 rules! (haha) - let's don't go there again...

I believe that you are not comparing apples to apples and oranges to oranges here. To assign Coke to Mag and Pepsi to Lowrance, or any such deritave, is futile.

Now, if you had compared a Mag to a F-15 and a Garwin to a F-14 (or Campbell's Soup to Post Cereal) - now you got somethin'

--majicman (Suprajenius)

maj-gps.gif

majicman