Solar Storm and GPSrs

Enspyer

The GPSrs might not be really accurates with that solar storm. I understand (I'm far from an expert on these things) that they can mess up satilletes and the magnetic field, and other navigation-related things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Enspyer

As a point of interest, we did our GGA Challenge Event this past weekend. I hid my 6 caches for the event last Friday afternoon as the last storm was starting to hit the earth. I had no real difficulty with getting signal lock. The next day our caches were found, and we were playing our game during the end of the bad part of the storm. No one reported wild or high EPE after they were done in the field. One guys track log showed that he was all around one of my caches but it was a tough one to find. His dot for the cache was in the middle of the tracklog, so the coords must have been good. This weeks storm is suppose to be much worse, but I did not see any big problems. I even used my cell phone last week on both Friday afternoon and Saturday with no issues.

mtn-man... admin brick mason

"approver of all trades" -- per Woodsters Outdoors

I agree with mtn man, I was out on a night cache on Friday. Got the find with no abnormalities of GPS function at all and I got to see the Northern Lights, so I was in a part of the planet that was hit by the last flare, and everything worked fine. I suggest that you take a read from home or from a known location. If its acting up there, at least you aren't 20 miles from home when you find that you need to change plans... icon_smile.gif

7 3 10 13 23 36 59 95 ...