Micro Caches

bigredmed

Can't think of any. I've come to like these more and more. Easier to place in any situation, less impact, more of a challenge to find, less likly to get trashed or plundered, cheaper, comes in a variety of container types, offers more creative enviornments for placement, more focus on the game and less on the stuff, but, sadly, maybe less fun for the kids (who like the stuff (any age)).

I placed a micro, which was recently archived cuz I put it where it shouldn't have been... but anyway...

It is one of those plastic keyholder things with the magnet on the back. You can get those for about 3/$1.00 at the local discount stores around here. Not waterproof at all, but big enough to enclose the logbook in a ziplock bag.

I'm going to try to find a place where I can stick this one, where weather will not be a factor. Way under something, hopefully metallic so I can glom it up above someone's head or something... hmm..

okay, I'm rambling now - what was the question? icon_smile.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

I placed a micro, which was recently archived cuz I put it where it shouldn't have been... but anyway...

It is one of those plastic keyholder things with the magnet on the back. You can get those for about 3/$1.00 at the local discount stores around here. Not waterproof at all, but big enough to enclose the logbook in a ziplock bag.

I'm going to try to find a place where I can stick this one, where weather will not be a factor. Way under something, hopefully metallic so I can glom it up above someone's head or something... hmm..

okay, I'm rambling now - what was the question? icon_smile.gif

- Toe.

--==< Rubbertoe's Webcam, Photo Albums, and Homepage >==--

I was in Petco and found these little brass cylinders that are about 0.75 inches long that screw together and have a ring to hang from a dog collar. They are a dog id container. I said, dog tags work just as well for my dog, but this would be a good microcache container. This should be waterproof and should be hangable from most things. (snicker...)

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.

I found some of those thingys recently at a REI outlet. I got some as exchange items. They called them "capsules", and I thought they were neat little inexpensive things to leave at caches.

685309.jpg

I just created a 6 part multicache, where I used M&M mini's containers as the micro caches. They are water tight, and will hold a 4" wide piece of paper, as well as a small pencil.

Reddfrogg

We've placed two micros, although we're using plastic decontamination kit containers -- which are a bit large for a true micro.

We like them because they are absolutely waterproof -- and it's easy to find sites that are accessible while minimizing traffic damage caused by cache hunters.

Might want to use the smallest "Rite in the Rain" notebook for a log.

Just had two very experienced local cachers each fail to find our last after an hour of searching, although the cache was only five feet off a solid trail. The lesson: good clues are more important with the micros.

As others stated, waterproofing is important. Altoids tins, hide-a-key's, etc... are not waterproof.

Another concern is making sure it can be found (unless you really want a 4 star difficulty cache). I've known some who hide micros in the forest, which makes them nearly impossible to find. Hard enough finding an ammo box there sometimes.

However, in city parks and other urban areas, micros are usually the best way to hide a cache

"Life is a daring adventure, or it is nothing" - Helen Keller

quote:
Originally posted by Geoidchaser:

PVC pipe with a cap,sealed, one end and a threaded cap on the other. waterproof , enviromental friendly lasts about 900 years+-, any size you want to make it. Maybe I should make some and post a picture?

A Point in the right direction,ASCENSION.

Isn't this better know as the pipe bomb cache?

george

Remember: Half the people you meet are below average.

5867_200.gif

I've been holding on to the tins AOL has been mailing their crap in lately. Bigger than an Altoid tin, just under 6x6", but flatter. I'm sure it will have the same waterproofing problems as any other tin. Anyone tried these?

I also have a nice, short platic tube with a very tight rubber cap that came in the mail (it contained a car key as part of some promo). I can't look at anything anymore without evaluating its potential as a cache container icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

I've been holding on to the tins AOL has been mailing their crap in lately. Bigger than an Altoid tin, just under 6x6", but flatter. I'm sure it will have the same waterproofing problems as any other tin. Anyone tried these?

I also have a nice, short platic tube with a very tight rubber cap that came in the mail (it contained a car key as part of some promo). I can't look at anything anymore without evaluating its potential as a cache container icon_smile.gif

migo_sig_logo.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by dinoprophet:

I found a cache once that used one of these. it was just a coin cache, but what was cool was that it was magnetically affixed to the bottom of a grill in a park. The small ziplock that was inside melted, but the rest was OK. It was a bit difficult to get it to stay closed though.

I have a small brass container about 0.25 inches in diameter and about 1 inch long hanging from a tree by a braided cable. Will definitely have a 1 for terrain, but will be tricky, should I bump up to a 2?

I was in the hardware store Friday (why they let me in without an attendant, my wife still can't figure out.) I found little magnets that will fit in the bottom of pill bottles. I have a couple of empties that will be quite amusing. I also found Velcro by the inch. Now I need to figure out how to put 6 inches of this to good use. BTW, they have 50 cal ammo boxes in good condition for $3.99 each. Not micro, but good for regular caches.

By appointment to the Court of HRM Queen Mikki I.