Always keep a backup of your cache information.

DisQuoi

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

I also post my caches on the other geocaching site.

I just checked that other site. Of the few caches listed on that site within 200 miles of my home, all are listed on this site and have logged finds, and none has logged a find on that site.

Maybe that site should consider offering neat little hat pins to anyone who logs 1, 5, and 10 finds.

No, I've never lost a cache description . . . I save a copy of my cache pages to the hard drive. I also keep a database of caches I've visited, which includes the coordinates of intermediate stages of multicaches. This came in handy recently, when the owner of a multicache I had done quite a while back lost the coordinates to an intermediate stage . . . I was able to save him a trip back to the site.

quote:

Nobody attacked this site, why are you defending it?. The topic is on ways to backup your cache info. Posting it there also is another simple way to back up the info.

Chill out and check the "smilies," Alan. I'm neither attacking that site nor defending this one . . . but I'm sure the owner of that site appreciates its function as a free, online "backup service." Any content is better than no content . . . icon_wink.gif

quote:

As a bonus, if additional people hunt my caches because they're scanning the other site, I get more visiters to my cache and they have the opportunity to know of caches if they don't use this site for geocaching. Seems like everyone wins.

You could be right! But wow!! Listen to all those clicking keys as everyone from here makes redundant "back up" find logs there! icon_wink.gif

quote:

Nobody attacked this site, why are you defending it?. The topic is on ways to backup your cache info. Posting it there also is another simple way to back up the info.

Chill out and check the "smilies," Alan. I'm neither attacking that site nor defending this one . . . but I'm sure the owner of that site appreciates its function as a free, online "backup service." Any content is better than no content . . . icon_wink.gif

quote:

As a bonus, if additional people hunt my caches because they're scanning the other site, I get more visiters to my cache and they have the opportunity to know of caches if they don't use this site for geocaching. Seems like everyone wins.

You could be right! But wow!! Listen to all those clicking keys as everyone from here makes redundant "back up" find logs there! icon_wink.gif

quote:
Originally posted by DisQuoi: Has anyone ever lost a cache description? Does Jeremey back this stuff up?

I have that up at the top of the cache page in case someone types in all their text and hits the submit button, and their machine crashes or their ISP goes down.

We do nightly backups to a remote server and no, I have never lost a cache page for anyone.

The two sites are navicache.com and geocachingworldwide.com - I do not censor these sites, but we have had problems with folks spamming the forums so it goes into an approval queue. If the posts are appropriate they are approved.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

The two sites are navicache.com and geocachingworldwide.com - I do not censor these sites, but we have had problems with folks spamming the forums so it goes into an approval queue. If the posts are appropriate they are approved.

Jeremy

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak Lackey and Geopuppet

I stand corrected, Jeremy, and apologize. I appreciate your keeping this forum open to all ideas and opinions.

Thank you.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

We do nightly backups to a remote server and no, I have never lost a cache page for anyone.

That was my guess. I'm sure you'll agree that your biggest asset is arguably the data which resides at geocaching.com. If you relied on individuals to back-up their cache descriptions, a catastrophic failure of your system would probably result in a lot of permanent lost caches