I'm new questions?

N4OMD

I am new at geocaching, and want to know if most of the caches have pretty much the same type of items in them, or does it get better. I have found only one by myself, but have introduced another couple into the sport today. We went to find one this afternoon, and it's contents was pretty much the same as the first geocache that I found. (Stickers, log book, poncho, several keychains, and broken McDonalds toys.)

My sister in Germany tells me of collectable coins, stamps, and even real cash that they have found.

Is there some type of guidlines that I should follow as far as trading even? EXAMPLE: The friends that I brought with me today went to Walmart, and purchased a small $15.00 walkman radio to trade, but there was nothing in the cache that was worth trading for? I told them to just hang onto it until they go to another cache, and see if it was any better. While we were driving I made a comment to the affect that "It's not what's in the cache, but the feeling of accomplishment when you actually find it." They both just laughed, and made a comment back to me that was basicly, "If I am going to walk that far, then there better be something nice in it, or this sport isn't for me!"

Needless to say I think that they will not join me anymore on future geocaching adventures!

N4OMD

thats about all I find in most caches...you have the right idea...its not whats in there...its the hunt...I have found a lot of things that are worth nothing and somethings that are worth (in money terms) alot...alot of caches cant handle anything large (ie: walkman) and to be honest if I did that everytime I went out, I would be broke icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_eek.gif...I did 10 caches today and have 76 finds... lets see that over $1k...dadgum my x wife would kill me!!! well mrs. carivercpl would kill me and she loves this game!!! just think of some of these folks that have over 200 finds...I thinks its the hunt above all...I am sorry your friends dont see beyond the $$$$$...and thats my 2 cents, and I found that in a cache today....

quote:
Originally posted by N4OMD:

I am new at geocaching, and want to know if most of the caches have pretty much the same type of items in them, or does it get better?

I just returned from vacation, and noticed that the contents of the caches in TN, NC, and GA are much nicer than those located here in FL. I actually found a cache in GA with my Brother-In-Law and his kids, and I felt guilty trading items that we brought for the exchange. His little boy wanted a CD from it so bad, that I finally just added money to the cache so that it would make me feel as though it was an even trade.

When the family, and I go together we usually bring both good items and cheap items.

If you think about it...

If everyone would trade evenly then the sport would probably grow more popular, but there is some cachers that actually swap Mcdonalds toys for collectable stamps!

I am a safety supplier, and I always put a personal first-aid-kit in every cache. I look at it, and think that every cacher would eventually need a first-aid-kit sometime! Each kit cost me $3.50, however they retail for around $10.00 each. I have actually had people swap keychains for my first-aid-kits!

IMO..

I think that everyone should trade evenly, and place items in caches that can ACTUALLY be useful to the finder in the future!

This would definently make me more interested in the sport!(LIKE I'M NOT NOW?)

I know it is the feeling of accomplishment like you mentioned, but I have traveled 100+ miles to do some caches, just to find them basically empty, or maybe have loose change rattling around the bottom. It doesn't bother me as much as it does my kids! I hate it when I see the look of disappointment on my 7 year, and 4 year old kids face. They are so excited about going to find "treasure", yet the caches contain the same items that they just took out of a happy meal during lunch!

I really do think that people should think about it before they put items in caches. They should stop, and ask themselves one question...

"IF I WERE TO OPEN THIS CACHE NEXT, WOULD I CHOOSE THIS ITEM?"

Just my thoughts...

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

Your friends have set their standards too high. I'm like many others. It's the hunt. And it's the find.

I don't mind that much of what the contents are, just as long as the cache has been well thought and hidden sufficiently. Introduction to new scenery in route to the cache is a plus.

Maybe you could find another cache nearby, and check the description with regard to nice scenic spots. Then check the original contents versus items traded and find a cache with more "valuable" items in it for them to trade.

We need them as geocachers and they need to learn to enjoy what is out there, regardless of the cache items. Not all caches will suit them, but I'm sure there are more that will.

Really a shame you have to choose from one cache or another based on the items for trade.

Most veteran Geocachers agree that it's the hunt, not what is in the cache that draws them to the sport. However, new Geocachers and those who hunt with their kids usually have a different perspective. I think it's important to stock a cache well, so it will appeal to the latter two groups. Eventually, many of them will probably join those of us who care more about the hunt than the contents, but in the beginning, novice Geocachers usually need to find nicely stocked caches to keep them interested in the sport.

I'm not talking about dropping bundle on your cache either. A person could put together a very nice cache for under $25. I'm always on the lookout for inexpensive items that may be of interest to someone. A partial list of things that I've put in my caches would include: Collectible coins, tick removers, emergency ponchos, space blankets, water color sets, boxes of colored chalk, mini screw driver sets, teen jewlery, disposable cameras, packs of AA batteries, eyeglass repair kits, packs of colored hair clips, small compasses, CD's, gently used books, small first aid kits, rolls of 35mm film, small coloring books, allen wrench sets, mini safety strobes, new Hot Wheels/Matchbox cars, unactivated travel bugs, assorted desk supplies, battery testers, packs of carabiners, small flashlights and Where's George stamps.

I find my cache items in auto parts stores, toy stores, office supply stores, drug stores, outdoors stores, supermarkets, department stores and book stores. Rarely do I spend more than $5 on an item and most come in under $3.

"You can't make a man by standing a sheep on its hind legs, but by standing a flock of sheep in that position, you can make a crowd of men" -Max Beerbohm

[This message was edited by BrianSnat on November 18, 2002 at 06:11 AM.]

quote:
I think it's important to stock a cache well, so it will appeal to the latter two groups.

I agree with you here, and please don't get me wrong. I enjoy the hunt even if it were empty, and just a logbook inside. As a matter of fact, I really enjoy finding the micro caches in public places more than I like the actual caches with contents.

The problem is that when I have my kids with me, I let them plunder in the cache and get what they want while I am signing the log. It just turns out to be a disappointment in most cases, and as much as I enjoy the hunt, I sometimes feel I have to force my kids to go geocaching with me.

I think that the cheap toys are fine, and I even go to the DOLLAR GENERAL to buy most of the trade items so the kids with have items to trade. I have seen both of my kids take the cheapest items, and play with them all day. They will even tell their friends how they found the items... I really think that is very cool when a four year old tries to explain geocaching to a friend. My four year old actually took a plastic toy military radio out of a cache, and he brings it with him on every hunt. He says that it is his GPS. icon_wink.gif

Believe me!!! My kids are very familiar with the GPS. Everytime the GPS goes, "BEEP BEEP" both of my kids will say at the same time...

"ARRIVING AT DESTINATION!"

Team Shuey

Riverview, Florida

Shuey's Web Site

Buy CamelBaks

CLICK HERE

Ok, i am still new to this also, and have hidden a cache. This may sound a little different, but please visit my cache page and let me know what you think. I tried to put different things in there that have a use, but not expensive. My 6 year old was as involved in making this cache as he is in finding the new ones to us. Well, I am not sure if this will work, but here is my cache:ACME

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

quote:
Originally posted by N4OMD:

"It's not what's in the cache, but the feeling of accomplishment when you actually find it."

"If I am going to walk that far, then there better be something nice in it, or this sport isn't for me!"

N4OMD

Most of the time people suggest that the response to "There's nothing but junk in the cache" should be "It's not the stuff in the cache, it's the hunt".

Maybe we should start telling people "It's not what you get out of the cache, it's what you put in that makes it worthwhile.

icon_geocachingwa.gif

It's like many other things in life. You have to go for a whole lot of caches to find a few good ones but the good ones make it worth going to all those caches. And besides, you always have the option of taking nothing and leaving nothing if there is nothing good to trade in the cache. I usually leave some Where's George dollars anyway.

quote:
Originally posted by Kodak's4:

Maybe we should start telling people "It's not what you _get out_ of the cache, it's what you _put in_ that makes it worthwhile.

Good point!

It's a delicate balancing act as far as the type of trinkets to put in a cache. Too expensive and the cache will probably get plundered (or at least traded down). Too cheap and people will be disappointed.

I try to find items that are interesting/useful but inexpensive. That way if it is stolen or traded down, no big deal. And I always leave something, whether I take anything or not.

Most of the time I couldn't give a rats patootie what's in the cache, as long as the log book is dry. I'm in it for the adventure of finding it and seeing new places.

If the kids are along, we'll usually trade, since that appeals to them.

If I'm by myself, I usally don't take anything unless something really catches my eye. I may leave some token of my visit, or if I really liked the cache I'll leave one of my signature Geo-Tiles (costs me around $4.50).

If people are in it for the trading, they probably will get dissapointed after a while, since the quality of cache contents generally goes down over time.