Adjusting seek area by cache placer

I started thinking about this while reading another post in the GPS and Software section.

Most of us realize that our GPS's have about a 30' margin of error. In addition, the person placing a cache could also be off by as much as 30', making a cache possible 60' from where you are looking. This we know.

What I am wondering is after awhile, do you start adjusting where you look based upon your experience with a particular cache placer?

The reason I ask is because I have noticed that I often adjust my search based upon who hid the cache. In particular, there is one local cacher that I have found that my reading and her/his reading are consistently about 30' off to the NE. So now, when I go off in search one of the caches placed by this particular cacher, I find where my GPS says the item is, then move 30' in a northeasterly direction, and generally end up right next to the cache. While this is the most extreme example I have, I have noticed that knowing who hid the cache helps me a lot in determining where the cache might be and what adjustments to make to my GPS readings.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

I haven't noticed that trend, but after awhile you get the idea of what kind of location the cacher likes to use. Some will stick it in a hollow log or stump, under a pile of bark. Others will almost always stick it in brush. One of my buddies that caches hasn't a clue as to what poison oak looks like so I just assume I'll need gloves and a long sleeve shirt to find his.

icon_smile.gif

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I haven't noticed that trend, but after awhile you get the idea of what kind of location the cacher likes to use. Some will stick it in a hollow log or stump, under a pile of bark. Others will almost always stick it in brush. One of my buddies that caches hasn't a clue as to what poison oak looks like so I just assume I'll need gloves and a long sleeve shirt to find his.

icon_smile.gif

Never Squat With Yer Spurs On

I always assume that my GPSr will get me to the general area. Then if I can't find it after a few minutes of hunting the area my GPS says it should be, we try putting it away and using the Force.

But to answer your question, yes there are some cachers that I know the coords will be dead on with mine and there are some that I know will be pretty far off.

smile02.gif If ignorance is bliss, why aren't there more happy people??

Every single cache I have found has been within 50 feet. So now, once I get to within 50 feet I begin to think of circles instead of a straight line. If the GPS says I am getting farther away, I go a different (circular) direction. I have not had a "not found" yet using this logic and only two caches have really challenged me to the point of frustration. I consider this lucky more than being good!

Once I think I am really close, I look for clues. Such as branches or bark that are out of place, or under rocks or inside hollow logs. Most cachers I found think like me when hiding a cache so I look for places where I would hide one.

Did I just describe the "force"

Smoochnme

goldfish.gif

"Only when the last tree is cut,

and the last stream is polluted,

and the last fish is caught,

will we realize that you can't eat the money"

Somebody posted in a previous thread that it would be cool if everyone started posting the co-ords of a nearby land mark (e.g. flagpole at the trail head) taken the same day they placed the cache. Then when you get to that place you compare the co-ords in your GPS to what the placer posted and your GPS should take you exactly to the cache....

I like the hunt at the end though. It would be too easy if the GPS took you right to the cache. icon_smile.gif

AtP

Somebody posted in a previous thread that it would be cool if everyone started posting the co-ords of a nearby land mark (e.g. flagpole at the trail head) taken the same day they placed the cache. Then when you get to that place you compare the co-ords in your GPS to what the placer posted and your GPS should take you exactly to the cache....

I like the hunt at the end though. It would be too easy if the GPS took you right to the cache. icon_smile.gif

AtP