apologies...

I posted a topic that was fairly controversial (below, well below by the time you might read this). Not everyone here will agree with some (or all) of the opinions expressed there, but I think all will agree that geocaching is an activity we have come to enjoy in many different settings and that is important to me. I closed the discussion thread so as to save some discord. Apologies to those who received some "heat" or to those who got "heated".

Wherever you go, there you are.

No worries. Some people over-react to some things that others take to heart. I'll be looking further at the website that you posted -- after all, there are lots of forests in this province that are off the beaten track that can be logged. Thank you for bringing this issue to my attention.

Hope to see you at a local cache sometime.

I don't think an apology was necessary. Personally I think the topic was entirely appropriate.

I suppose it could have violated the "agenda" rule, but in my opinion, the sharing of information and opinions is rarely a bad thing.

So, thanks for sharing. Sorry to see the topic closed.

Pan

"The internet to tell me where. A GPS to get me there."

An apology is not necessary (although I do understand polite people often apologize “just in case”). The topic was however not appropriate for these forums and if allowed to continue would likely have resulted in a lengthy lively debate on forestry practices in British Columbia (which is as much of a political/social issue as an environmental issue - and not directly related to Geocaching). Believe me, if you like these forums to be focussed on Geocaching I think you should be pleased that the topic was closed.

I acknowledge that my comments on the thread inserting in my strongly worded 2 cents worth before declaring the topic was inappropriate was hypocritical. For that, I apologize (but only “just in case” icon_wink.gif).

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me.

geol4.JPG

Well Doc, I read the thread while it was in progress and didn't feel you put anything in it that was inappropriate, however, I did not comment as I do not know enough about the subjec to make any kind of intelligent, on-topic, response. We've had MUCH worse topics in these forums and your postings, whether you agreed or dissagreed with anyone, were polite and responsive. I hope you post more often and perhaps we'll have opportunities to respond back and forth on other topics.

Apologize if you wish to, but none is necessary as far as I'm concerned.

texasgeocaching_sm.gif

"Trade up, trade even, or don't trade!!!" My philosophy of life.

I didn't read your thread, but it can't be any worse than some of the threads going on now. Like..."The person above me" "The person below me" "What movie did this line come from" "Flying for the first time"...the list goes on an on! This fourm is supposed to be moderated...damned if I see any moderating going on icon_frown.gif

So there is no apologies needed...not even if you were discussing how to knit a sweater. Apparently that is on topic in here.

El Diablo

Everything you do in life...will impact someone,for better or for worse.

http://www.geo-hikingstick.com

fter looking at a topic the first time, if someone isn't interested he does not have to come back to it. As long as Jeremy doesn't mind paying for the bandwidth and shutting it down himself, I think the topic should not be terminated. If people want to vent, let them. If people still have something to say, why shut them off?

Eventually the topic will die on its own accord anyway.

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by seneca:

Believe me, if you like these forums to be focussed on Geocaching I think you should be pleased that the topic was closed.

I acknowledge that my comments on the thread inserting in my strongly worded 2 cents worth before declaring the topic was inappropriate was hypocritical

Apologies all around the block lately it seems... if we weren't able to reason, we'd never get anywhere.

DocMagoo- The thread in question was interesting enough (as there is a geocache now in the area)...

Seneca- no one can fault you for sticking up for the logging community.

That people change their minds, shows that people are still seeking.

We've discussed many heated non-geocaching topics ad infinitum, tossing out all kinds of innuendos and conclusions... it's not the end of the world.

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Apologies all around the block lately it seems... if we weren't able to reason, we'd never get anywhere.

DocMagoo- The thread in question was interesting enough (as there is a geocache now in the area)...

We've discussed many heated non-geocaching topics ad infinitum, tossing out all kinds of innuendos and conclusions... it's not the end of the world.

Canadazuuk: is the cache you mentioned one that you just placed, or is it the one I just placed?

And, yes....I agree, it was interesting enough. I've got strong feelings and convictions about things and there will be some that disagree with those and are entitled to. I guess the reason why I closed it is that I didn't want to create more discord on-line than necessary (I have to admit, I thought that the thread wouldn't receive as much attention as it did). It's hard enough to understand someone if you can't hear them and see them face-to-face and discussion boards/email always leave you second guessing how you "sounded" to someone else. I'd sooner just call it a day, go caching, be respected as a geocacher (rather than someone who just posted a topic that caused a rift), possibly meet over a cold beverage (your choice) after some tough caches, and talk then. I've got no hard feelings. I'd sooner become a part of the geocaching community than a ......(you fill in the blank).

I'm not sure that the topic was really that exposed, or read by that many... compared to some of our other threads anyway. Just have a look for the threads that I have posted within to see about *exposure* icon_wink.gif

The reality IMHO, is that geocachers are fairly obsessive (in a good way), which means they can feel pretty strongly about something.

Relating this to geocaching specifically, look at the topics that center around locationless caches, with both 'pro' and 'anti' camps digging trenches so to speak. And then for awhile, there were the folks who were 'anti' admin, and equally, many folks defending the admin.

This is a private website, owned by private interests, so expect there to be some direction coming from them about what is okay or not okay. They are not known for closing threads without due cause, and in many cases, due warning.

Did you ask for your thread to be closed? I suspect your topic was too general, and not related to geocaching enough to warrant it's continuation, especially considering the characters that were beginning to make appearances (namely myself)

BTW, your cache is near Elk Mtn, I would have done it Friday, but I didn't see it in time... from Abbotsford, my guess is that I'll need 3 hours round trip to do it... I should save it for next week and hit a few bedoggy caches as well.

quote:
Originally posted by DocMagoo:

quote:
Originally posted by canadazuuk:

Canadazuuk: is the cache you mentioned one that you just placed, or is it the one I just placed?

And, yes....I agree, it was interesting enough. I've got strong feelings and convictions about things and there will be some that disagree with those and are entitled to. I guess the reason why I closed it is that I didn't want to create more discord on-line than necessary (I have to admit, I thought that the thread wouldn't receive as much attention as it did). It's hard enough to understand someone if you can't hear them and see them face-to-face and discussion boards/email always leave you second guessing how you "sounded" to someone else. I'd sooner just call it a day, go caching, be respected as a geocacher (rather than someone who just posted a topic that caused a rift), possibly meet over a cold beverage (your choice) after some tough caches, and talk then. I've got no hard feelings. I'd sooner become a part of the geocaching community than a ......(you fill in the blank).

Hey Doc... That post was written like a real man!! No bull..and to the point! You have the respect of team Spzzmoose! icon_smile.gif