Geoquilt

cliffy

Hey Cliffy,

Thanks for the inquiry and the compliment. I finished the quilt and sent it out right around valentines day. I was starting to like it too much and was afraid that I wouldn't be able to part with it. A number of my fellow quilt friends said "Of course you're going to keep it". But consistent with my what I have done with all the other quilts that I've made...I sent it out.

Anyway I had gotten so many compliments while I was making the quilt that I decided I had to give the border my best effort. It has moons, stars, compass directions and the earth outlined in the stitching of the large yellow border. It doesn't show up well in the pictures but it's there none the less. The quilt is to be delivered to it's eventual owner latter this month. Mon10bike is in charge of that. At a caching/wilderness event up his way and appears to be the best place to hand it off. Pictures will then follow.

I'm working on another caching quilt project now. A much more difficult pattern and longer projection to completion. Blocks to be placed in the Erie PA, Lord of the Rings multicaches. Mikechim set up a most thoughtful multicache (with more to follow when the movies are released). The family is way into TLOTR and so I wanted to reflect that in another quilt.........

Dx

quote:
Originally posted by DxChallenged:

The quilt is to be delivered to it's eventual owner latter this month. Mon10bike is in charge of that. At a caching/wilderness event up his way and appears to be the best place to hand it off. Pictures will then follow.

Problems! icon_eek.gif

That event has just been postponed two months until May 4. So, my question is what to do now. I could wait and hang on to the quilt until the rescheduled event (which would be a shame, since it really should be out and seen by geocachers), or I could arrange a different means of delivery. There are pros and cons to each option. Any suggestions?

24_700.gif

Hey! I say check out an alternate plan and find a quick delivery method. Doesn't really need to be a hoopla thing. Once delivered the quilt could go to caching events if more signatures are desired by the owner. It's just that now I'm on another page and this point in time might be a very good instance for the quilt owner to receive a "pick me up".....

Dx

quote:

this point in time might be a very good instance for the quilt owner to receive a "pick me up".....

Dx

just guessing here, but are the "owner's" initials J.I.? If so I think it would be an excellent time to hand it off.

Cheers, cliffy icon_smile.gif

quote:

I'm working on another caching quilt project now. A much more difficult pattern and longer projection to completion. Blocks to be placed in the Erie PA, Lord of the Rings multicaches. Mikechim set up a most thoughtful multicache (with more to follow when the movies are released). The family is way into TLOTR and so I wanted to reflect that in another quilt.........

Dx

Dx as usual is a little to humble. She forgot to mention that the Tolkien quilt cache will contain 4 blocks. Three from my LOTR series and one from her (yet to be released) hobbit cache. (Hopefully I didn't let the cat out of the bag). I am thrilled that she thinks enough of my cache to dedicate a quilt to it. Once the project get's rolling I'll update the fellowship page as well as post under the Tolkien thread.

As I've said elsewhere DX you flat out rock.

Life is good.

Mike

Hey! So I am thinking of buying my own GPS...Garmin V. I've just been reading the specs on it and, you may be wondering how this relates to the geoquilt....well I thought that I would post the specs on the quilt.

The geoquilt was made

1. In the broken star pattern. If you look at the center you will see a large star radiating outwards. But also if you look at each individual signature a star is formed around it out of the small triangles.

2. The blocks were rotary cut and sewn using chain piecing. I sewed all the blocks together and never used a pin to hold even one while I sewed icon_biggrin.gif

3. The batting used is called warm and natural and is 100% cotton. It is thin but very warm when it is covering you. The entire quilt is 100% cotton so it can be machine washed although some of the signatures on transfere medium may come off. I'm really hoping that the quilt will be used and not just hung on a wall....It's made for use and should last a very long time.

4. The quilt was machine quilted. The block section was quilted using the "stitch in the ditch" method of quilting and the border was quilted using free motion and back to front quilting.

5. The binding is 4x thick. This is so to help prolong the life of the quilt. The bindings often go first. The binding is called double fold french.........

6. The quilt was signed by the quilt maker icon_smile.gif

This adds to the value of the quilt. The Smithsonian has been encouraging quiltiers to sign, date, write location where the quilt was made and the reason why. I listed all but the last....thought that all the other signatures explained that........

Anyway....Those are the specs

Dx

There in the sunshine are my highest aspirations...

I can look up and see their beauty, believe in them

and try to follow where they lead.

LMAlcott