WOW -- WHAT THE HECK WAS THAT?!?!?!?!

Jomarac5

Wow. I know there's new rules and all but I can't believe that the thread titled THE GEOPIRATE HAS LANDED IN BC in the Canada Forum just got shut down for no apparent reason.

Seems that someone cried because a little reality bit him and the thread was snapped shut. I could see it getting shut down if anyone had responded poorly to the very inflamatory and confrontational post by Geo-trekker -- but such was not the case.

I have a hard time believing this one. Normally, I don't get too bent out of shape about a thread being locked but there was no reason for this thread to be rudely cut off. If this is the way that the Canada Forum is going to be moderated, I'll be posting all my regional topics here in the General section, at least the moderators here are being fair.

The moderator in the Canada forums could use some coaching from Keystone Approver.

This is definitely an appropriate moment for a few of these:

icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Jomarac5:

What's the deal here? If I start a topic and the discussion doesn't go the way that I want it to, can I get it shut down too?

Actually, yes. The forums are supposed to allow topic starters to close their topics when they feel it necessary. Unfortunately, I have been unable to get that feature to work (or I just don't know where to look). So when a request comes in to close a topic by the starter, I do so.

There have been many discussions in the past from forum users about the policies on editing/deleting/closing posts. The decision to allow topic starters to close their own topics came out of those discussions.

smile.gif Elias

quote:

It's not right.

It may not be "right" in your opionion, but dadgum, I can't wait until you employ that option with the DO YOU READ THE FORUMS thread...

icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gifbad_boy_a.gif

Pan

Here there be tigers. - My response when asked by a fellow Geocacher to describe the attitude of the forums.

I can see it now:

Since most threads have an off-topic post by about the 3rd reply, Jomarac will request that the post be locked so it can be continued on a new thread. The forums will be full of posts with 2 or 3 replies that are all locked with continuation posts II, III, IV, etc all locked as well. In order to reply, you'll need to find the thread title with MCMXXII at the end of it. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

texasgeocaching_sm.gif Took sun from sky, left world in eternal darkness bandbass.gif

quote:
Sax Man wrote:

Since most threads have an off-topic post by about the 3rd reply, Jomarac will request that the post be locked so it can be continued on a new thread.

Not likely Sax Man. Unlike a few others who can not take what they dish out, I am not afraid or intimidated by those who take a thread off topic. If they want to be rude, I'll simply treat them accordingly.

quote:
Originally posted by Zaphod Beeblebrox:

So how come we can't delete a message within a few minutes of posting it? Does it make sense that we can edit it to death for 1440 minutes but can't delete it within a few minutes of posting?

No it doesn't make sense. But that combination of options just isn't available with Ubb.x.

smile.gif Elias

I agree with Pan -- there should not be any editing or deleting. Give us the option of previewing our posts so that we can check for typos, etc. and then once the post is made, it's done. Being able to edit and/or delete opens the door for much abuse. I know that preview options are available for Ubb.

We just saw a recent cacher who picked up his ball and leave the site after deleting his posts, making all the rest of the posts confusing with respect to the initial topic.

Edited: because I could.

quote:

We just saw a recent cacher who picked up his ball and left delete his posts, making all the rest of the posts confusing with respect to the initial topic.

Yeah, I mean, if he was smart, he would have then requested to have the thread locked.

What a waste.

Pan

Here there be tigers. - My response when asked by a fellow Geocacher to describe the attitude of the forums.

quote:

I agree with Pan -- there should not be any editing or deleting. Give us the option of previewing our posts so that we can check for typos, etc. and then once the post is made, it's done. Being able to edit and/or delete opens the door for much abuse. I know that preview options are available for Ubb.

I agree with that to the extent you mentioned. Because if you think you may have to edit or delete the post later then it shouldn't be posted in the first place. The problem with that is for those who go back in and fix stupid typos after the fact but still that all can be checked up front.

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Caching with a clue....

quote:

What's the deal here? If I start a topic and the discussion doesn't go the way that I want it to, can I get it shut down too?

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Actually, unless things have changed, you can close a topic you start within the first 24hrs of starting it all by yourself.

quote:

Thanks Mopar, for your perspective.

It was not the case here.

I dunno, I thought my post was about as helpful and direct an answer to your question as could be.

Also, to stay totally on topic (wouldnt want to see it stray), while Zuuk wasnt the one to actually close the thread, since he started the topic, and he requested it locked, he COULD have locked it himself, without involving TPTB. So my post was helpful and informative to him, as well.

"This is gc.com, love it or leave it "

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

it. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I think the roll eyes emoticon should be discontinued. I'm offended by its use.

Pan

Which is proper, "panty waist" or "panty waste"?

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

quote:
Originally posted by Pantalaimon:

quote:
Originally posted by Team GPSaxophone:

it. icon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gificon_rolleyes.gif

I think the roll eyes emoticon should be discontinued. I'm offended by its use.

Pan

--------------------

Searching for the lost, Geocache.......

I would have thought that of anybody you should know this

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)

cache_new.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by mckee:

quote:
Originally posted by Lapaglia:

I would have thought that of anybody you should know this

I think (I'm not sure, but I THINK) that mckee insulted me. And then, I think Lapaglia struck back at mckee for me. But I'm not sure, maybe I read it wrong, and maybe Lapaglia just doesn't like mckee.

Anyway, if mckee was personally, yet indirectly attacking me, which is correct, jackass, or jack ***? If mckee wasn't attacking me... nevermind.

Pan