Month and a half too soon to adopt a cache?

Sissy-n-CR

Of one of the failed containers/ruined caches we've found, the owners still haven't responded, the cache page is still disabled, and no logs after ours.

Is a month and a half, or so, too soon to adopt a cache?

I have no problem with turning the cache back over to the placers if they show up, but in the mean time salvagible cache items, like a brand-new pocket knife, is slowing getting ruined.

Planning on going out and checking on it this weekend. Maybe swapping out the container and replenishing it.

The problem is, the coordinates are to an interesting landscape feature that is likely to attract people. Probably how the cache was ruined in the first place as the lid was off when we found it. In order to protect it, we were thinking off leaving the original container with a note giving offsets to a better hiding place so as lessen the chance that goemuggles will stumble across it.

What do you guys think?

CR

72057_2000.gif

I've read many logs from caches around my area where people have repaired caches while they were there to help the placer keep the site going. icon_biggrin.gif

If you want to protect the contents from damage while determining the cache status with the Geocache Admin people, you have my vote to proceed. icon_wink.gif

Is there a clear timetable on the Upkeep of a cache?

I will have to reread the rules on that. icon_confused.gif

I'm not Lost, my GPS says I'm right here....no here......no here.

I say go for it. It takes me at best a couple of days to respond back to an email so they have been plenty of time.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Not so sure, Somewhat new Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

Go ahead and adopt it. There is a certain responsibility attached to cache placement. And if you aren't going to respond to e-mails or fix problems when they are encountered (within a reasonable time period, a month maybe), than you shouldn't place. So far we have encountered bad placers in Montana, both of whom turned out to live out of state and have no interest in upkeep. We help when we can, but it would've have been nice to have gotten an E-mailed "thanks for fixing my hint so it leads to the correct final location". We know people are busy, but that is no excuse for letting good things rot in a bad container.