Solving sniper killings with satellites?

Miatamatt

Just wanted some feedback on this idea...

I assume that the authorities can figure out where a shot comes from and the approximate time that a shot rings out... Might they be able to reference sat. surveillance images at that time and location and look for anything out of the ordinary? Maybe even locate and track a suspicious vehicle? I know that you wouldn't be able to see license plates or a person or anything, but I figure you could see SOMETHING...

I'm sure they are doing all they can... this is just something I've been thinking about for the past few days...

[OPINION] As a citizen educated in and supportive of law enforcement practices, I'd just like to note that standardized citywide video surveillance systems would be of significant help in these kinds of situations. However, since we all value our individual freedoms so much, we must accept the fact that homicidal maniacs can roam about with as much annonimity and freedom as the rest of us.

I understand both sides of the debate, I know there are drawbacks. And I'm sure he/they'd manage to find a way around video cameras anyway, but it sure would make it more inconvenient for him and offer less area for targeting innocents. Not to mention impacting car theft, hit-and-runs, vandalism, robberies, assaults, fires, run away children, kidnappings, etc, etc.)

For me the pros outweigh the cons. As a law-abiding citizen I personally have nothing to fear and very little to lose by being seen on surveillance videos. Just evidence of bad hair days, bad outfits, or nose-picking. [/OPINION]

I'm sure I've skipped making a few points here but its late and I'm tired. I really feel bad for all of those in the area dealing with this situation - I hope the sicko is caught soon. Keep your eyes & ears open and your heads down......

I'm afraid I have no choice but to sell you all for medical experiments.

Geocacher posted October 13, 2002 12:11 AM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I remember seeing vehicles in some of the photos that I've viewed at lostoutdoors.com. This made me wonder why satellite technology isn't being used to catch this nut? I'll bet there are members here who know more about this than I do.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posts: 58 | From: Beach Park, Il USA | Registered: August 01, 2002

You'll see replies to this question.

Apparently this hasn't worked yet, and if it does, I doubt if the government will provide any details.

quote:
Originally posted by MountainMudbug:

[OPINION]

...As a law-abiding citizen I personally have nothing to fear and very little to lose by being seen on surveillance videos. Just evidence of bad hair days, bad outfits, or nose-picking. ...[/OPINION]

If you shop in almost any store or drive down most major city highways, you already are.

Video surveillance would have to be total to really impact anything. It's cause and effect.

Just as Maryland, and especially DC, have been on the fore front of restricting gun ownership, is it any wonder that a maniac feels safe that he won't be running into armed citizens?

He is already hiding in the shadows and out of sight. I doubt cameras would do much.

CR

-- Insert pithy aphorism here --

I understand that all kinds of personal 'freedoms' might be violated by a city-wide camera system... but in this day and age we are video taped prettymuch anywhere we go. I used to work at a major retail store and was amazed at the quality of camers they had... they could freeze a frame, zoom in, and read your drivers licence as you were handing it to a clerk... Yes, you are being watched!

Back to the topic, I was primarily refering to he use of 'spy' satellites. Think Terraserver pics or 'Enemy of the State' or something like that...

I sometime think that maybe they spin the Hubble around and take a look at what out neighbors are doing when deep space goes to commercial!

-Matt