attention ebay shoppers

I'm new to this, I looked up a bunch of Legend gps units on ebay the prices start very low for units being offered by power sellers? what ever that means. I thought these were offered by regular people. Can you expect to get a good deal there.

Has anyone bought one there. If so what should I look out for, any helpful tips out there. Also what is your be$t deal so far..

Thanks, TJ..

[This message was edited by Night Tracker on April 25, 2002 at 07:49 PM.]

I have bought and sold many items on Ebay (including a Garmin Legend). First thing to look at is their feedback. The higher the better but also read their feedback to see how other buyers have responded. If the feedback is all positive, I would go for it. If there are a few negatives or neutrals, read them closely and make your decision from there. If the "power seller" has 1200 feedbacks and only 5 or 6 negative feedbacks, those are good odds. Also, read very closely as to the GPS condition. Is the unit in it's original box? Any return garentees (sp), etc. I have never been burned on Ebay (I am knocking on wood now) however, I have been slightly scorched because I have not closely read what is being sold. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

I have bought and sold many items on Ebay (including a Garmin Legend). First thing to look at is their feedback. The higher the better but also read their feedback to see how other buyers have responded. If the feedback is all positive, I would go for it. If there are a few negatives or neutrals, read them closely and make your decision from there. If the "power seller" has 1200 feedbacks and only 5 or 6 negative feedbacks, those are good odds. Also, read very closely as to the GPS condition. Is the unit in it's original box? Any return garentees (sp), etc. I have never been burned on Ebay (I am knocking on wood now) however, I have been slightly scorched because I have not closely read what is being sold. Hope this helps. icon_smile.gif

First of all the best deal going is on eBay but on GPS's it's not much savings. I got mine for 402 after shipping, the best deal on the net I could find was 407 not including shipping. Not much difference. Both units are new.

Now as far as feedback. I've got 200+ on Yahoo and about 8 negatives. You can't help but get negatives if you actually give negative feedback to deadbeat bidders. They retaliate. It's a fact of life. Read the negatives and make up your own mind. Most deadbeats get booted from eBay/yahoo but you still have to live with their damage.

I am looking to upgrade soon so I have been checking prices on the Vista and the new Rino's. The 2 best prices I have seen so far are gpsdiscount.com and (believe it or not)DeLorme. Both are selling new units at discounted prices. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

I am looking to upgrade soon so I have been checking prices on the Vista and the new Rino's. The 2 best prices I have seen so far are gpsdiscount.com and (believe it or not)DeLorme. Both are selling new units at discounted prices. icon_cool.gif

inceptor

the only difference between men and boys is the price of their toys

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

First of all the best deal going is on eBay but on GPS's it's not much savings. I got mine for 402 after shipping, the best deal on the net I could find was 407 not including shipping. Not much difference. Both units are new.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you take a chance on getting screwed for a 2 1/2% savings? And what happens if you have a problem with the unit afterwards? What dealer are you going to return it to or ask for consideration? icon_confused.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Renegade Knight:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you take a chance on getting screwed for a 2 1/2% savings? And what happens if you have a problem with the unit afterwards? What dealer are you going to return it to or ask for consideration? icon_confused.gif

Alan

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

Maybe I'm missing something, but why would you take a chance on getting screwed for a 2 1/2% savings? And what happens if you have a problem with the unit afterwards? What dealer are you going to return it to or ask for consideration?

I've bought new things through eBay (digital camera and PDA), and have been very happy.

With the camera package, I was missing an adapter tube (required to use the zoom lenses that were included in the package...the auction didn't specifically say it was included; but it seemed to me, if they sell a "package" deal, you ought to be able to use it as delivered, without having to purchase additional components). I called the dealer I purchased it from, and they were very nice, and promptly shipped out the part at no cost to me.

With the PDA, I ended up having an intermittent connection problem with the USB cradle. I contacted the manufacturer, who promptly sent out a replacement, and told me to keep the original.

-------

Join us at our first 196939_600.gif "geo-gathering" on 4/27/02!

I bought my GPS3+ on eBay one year ago. I paid $140. This morning, I checked thegpsworld.com and they are selling my unit for $259. Last year (before the GPS5 came out), it was more expensive.

Check out the seller's ratings and feedback. Read the description carefully.

I've bought and sold on eBay quite a bit. The only time I had a problem was when I didn't read the feedback. They took forever to ship my item. There were several warnings regarding late shipping in the feedback. If I had read, I would have known.

quote:

What'd ya save?

I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5000 with 3 piece filter kit, cleaning kit, tripod, carrying case, rechargeable battery (and charger), zoom lens, wide angle lens, extra 128 Mb compact flash card (plus the standard 32 Mb card that came with the camera), a high speed USB carder reader/writer, plus a 5 year extended service contract...and eventually the adapter tube that goes with the lenses...all (inluding shipping) for less than I could have gotten JUST THE CAMERA locally. (Not to mention that there would have been an additional 6% tax if I'd have bought locally.)

That totals up a few hundred bucks. (Plus the box it came in had the UPC symbol intact, so I could still get the $50 rebate and another 32 Mb memory card on top of the deal I already got.)

On my HP Jornada 548, I saved about $140 over the local sales prices, as well. That's over 33% off. icon_smile.gif

I agree with sbell. Pay attention to the feedback, and eBay is no more risky than buying anywhere else online.

quote:

What'd ya save?

I bought a Nikon Coolpix 5000 with 3 piece filter kit, cleaning kit, tripod, carrying case, rechargeable battery (and charger), zoom lens, wide angle lens, extra 128 Mb compact flash card (plus the standard 32 Mb card that came with the camera), a high speed USB carder reader/writer, plus a 5 year extended service contract...and eventually the adapter tube that goes with the lenses...all (inluding shipping) for less than I could have gotten JUST THE CAMERA locally. (Not to mention that there would have been an additional 6% tax if I'd have bought locally.)

That totals up a few hundred bucks. (Plus the box it came in had the UPC symbol intact, so I could still get the $50 rebate and another 32 Mb memory card on top of the deal I already got.)

On my HP Jornada 548, I saved about $140 over the local sales prices, as well. That's over 33% off. icon_smile.gif

I agree with sbell. Pay attention to the feedback, and eBay is no more risky than buying anywhere else online.

Inceptor,

You may want to check out www.gpsdiscount.com. I just got my vista from JA AIR on Ebay and it was $285 plus $17 for second day air. I think you may get it a couple bucks cheaper from the gpsdiscount website.

FYI, I highly recommend JA AIR. They are a power seller on Ebay and they have an impeccable feedback rating. They ship promptly and the unit is packed well. You can call and get a tracking number from them and they do sell Garmin accessories at reasonable prices.

You may want to take advantage of the "Buy it Now" option on Ebay. Some of those auctions end up costing more after the bidding war ends. That's what I did for my brand new Vista

"Indecision may or may not be my problem"----J. Buffett

I bought my Legend on Ebay for $180, including shipping. I took my time, looked at seller's profiles, and finally found a deal I could live with. I used "buy it now", which included free shipping. The unit I got was brand new. I could have got a used one cheaper but I was after a new one. It was my one and only purchase on ebay. The best price I could find in my area (Oregon) was $240.

Hope this helps,

D&P