Spare a thought for us poor Aussies.

The 2 Dogs

Hey you guys up there....spare a thought for your fellow geocachers down under. It's summer down here and so far we have had to contend with some terrible times. Most of our parks are closed due to fear of firestorms. Many of our caches have been destroyed by fire of have been deactivated because they are in fire prone areas.

Bushfires continue to rage around Sydney and just this week in Canberra (The nations Capital)firestorms destroyed over 400 homes in just a couple of hours, and killed 4 people. The fires have burnt out areas the size of Texas in just a few days. So we have to be very carefull where we go, because these are firestorms we are talking about which are far more terrifying and fast moving than the conventional bushfire.

We have also had the highest number of snake/spider bites ever recorded this year (probably a result of the fires upsetting habitat). And drought continues to turn our river recreation areas into dry dust holes, baking in the seering 110 degree heat.

Not a good season so far for geocaching in Oz.

Hounddog.

It's been a fairly snowless winter here in Minnesota, USA, so we can probably look forward to the same here this coming summer. There is still quite a few blown down trees in the Boundary Waters Canoe Wilderness Area that we've been waiting to go up in flames for the last couple of years, and I have a feeling that with our lack of snowfall this year, this summer will be it. Anyhow, you have my best wishes, and hope you fair well.

Think Globally, Act Locally

Life is good.

MnGCA-Button.gif

Hounddog, I've been following the news about the fires and it sounds horrific. We have two feet of snow on the ground and last night's temps reached -15 degrees F (with a stiff wind thrown in for good measure), but if I had to choose between the two I think I'd stay home. Good luck to ya.

---------------

Where am I going? I don't quite know.

What does it matter where people go?

Down to the wood where the blue-bells grow-

Anywhere, anywhere. I don't know.

-A.A. Milne

I've seen some of the coverage on the news here too, and it does look just nasty. Didn't you experience a similar situation last year? Bad times. Hang in there, we're thinking about ya.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

This message has been edited to fit your TV screen.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just had an e-mail from my cousin and her husband saying they had arrived safe in Sydney for the begining of a six month stay with their two little boys. I hope everyone is safe. I did see it on the news here this morning about the 400 homes and about the people who have died so far. Our hopes and prayers are with you.

Cache you later,

Planet

"To err is human, to forgive....$5.00"

That sounds nasty, hope things get better soon.

I guess in 110 degree heat you must go outside in the early morning or late at night.

To quote the old joke about Califonia (where I live) "we do get winter in California for about two weeks when it rains like crazy. This is followed by what we call Spring, a combination of Earthquakes and Mudslides. Of course, we do have an Autumn when all the leaves catch the color of fire...actually, they just catch fire (Autumn is fire season). And the remaining forty-six weeks are an interminable Summer--hot, dry, and dusty(yes, but it's a dry heat)."

Thanks to all for the best wishes. We will hope that things improve soon and our hearts go out to all who have lost their homes, obviously this is a whole lot worse than losing just a geocache.

The contrast of seasons is startling and we know that the U.S is no stranger to the fury of the elements. Tornados seem the be the most frightening to me.

quote:
Originally posted by georgeandmary:

There's always the urban micro cache. It'll hold you over until you can get back into the bush.

Actually that is what most of us are doing down here this summer. We have been placing mostly urban caches, even some caches underwater.

Hounddog

quote:
Originally posted by nincehelser:

...we get "Kangaroo Jack".

No...not a good year icon_frown.gif

George

I saw the David Letterman show which airs down here at around midnight. I must admit to not knowing that Kangaroo Jack was in Cinemas. The rap dancing scene looked a hoot.

Did you know the roos are actually quite a bit of a pest down here. They are everywhere. That is why we need large bull bars on the front of our cars and many people have been killed on country roads because of them. They are a major hazard on country air strips as well. On the caching front we have to be very careful what we put in our stashes as the buggers pick up the scent of everything, and are quite adept at getting into things.

Hounddog

quote:

Did you know the roos are actually quite a bit of a pest down here. They are everywhere. That is why we need large bull bars on the front of our cars and many people have been killed on country roads because of them. They are a major hazard on country air strips as well. On the caching front we have to be very careful what we put in our stashes as the buggers pick up the scent of everything, and are quite adept at getting into things.

So what's happening with your oversized varmints with the fires? Are they moving into the towns and cities?? That would be somewhat dangerous as well correct?

You're not pull startin' a dadgum lawnmower, squeeze the trigger!

Over the last couple of months the roos and wallabys have been encroaching into the urban backyards that ajoin the bush. Our home is one of those. The drought has made them look for feed and water so backyard grass is very tasty to them. When the fires come if they don't get out then they perish but they are a hardy lot. Koalas seem to suffer the most.

Our bushland relies on the fires for the germination of our native flora and also for the natural culling of prolific breeding animals.