Stolen cache

kentuck

Then "temporarily disable" it by clicking on the link directly under the Cache Name on your cache page. Then you may re-enable it when you are ready.

If you are not going to replace it, then click on "Archive this cache" in the top right of your cache page underneath the log in. If it were archived, and then replaced, only the admins can un-archive it for you. You would not be able to do this yourself.

Cache you later,

Planet

I feel much more like I do now than when I first got here.

quote:
Originally posted by dustyjacket:

Since we are running low on waypoint numbers, I would agree that you disable it, then use the same waypoint on a new cache and edit the new location.

DustyJacket

...If life was fair, a banana split would cure cancer.

That is certainly NOT the way to do it!

What do you do with all the old logs? Delete them? Then everyone loses the "find", and more importantly, a part of geocaching history is lost.

Even if you leave the finds, it still causes problems. If someone already found it, your "new cache" won't show up as new. It will still be on everyone's found list, so they won't even notice it's a new cache. Pocket Queries would also see it as a found if you found the old cache, and filtered out if you just grab unfound caches. Then, there is all the confusion you cause if you ask people to log multiple finds on the same cache. Usually, that would be considered cheating, and could lead to false accusations.

Lastly, intentionally or not, this circumvents the cache approval process. (Personally, I would like to see a fix for this loophole, maybe a change in location of more then 100ft moves it back to the approval que?)

Besides, the admins have already said they have a fix for the waypoint limit, that will go in to place when it's needed. Recycling cache IDs is just bad all the way around.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

Oops. You are right, MOPAR. Forget I ever posted anything. I was thinking the cache had not been around very long....... icon_redface.gif

DustyJacket

Actually, ken1949's cache Hadn't been around but a few days, but it still had 2 finds and a total of 6 logs. I consider even my DNF's a part of my caching history. Once I wrote what I thought was an interesting log, even if it was a DNF. I went back a week or 2 later and found the cache this time, and logged my find. The cache owner then deleted my DNF. I guess he didn't want it blemishing his cache. icon_frown.gif Since then, I save all my logs in a text document, just in case.

Tae-Kwon-Leap is not a path to a door, but a road leading forever towards the horizon.

quote:

Since we are running low on waypoint numbers, I would agree that you disable it, then use the same waypoint on a new cache and edit the new location.

DustyJacket

Only if for all intents and purposes it's the same cache and location. Otherwise you end up having to delete logs and that's not nice to say the least. Actually that's a bad idea all around.

Wherever you go there you are.

quote:
Originally posted by Mopar:

Once I wrote what I thought was an interesting log, even if it was a DNF. I went back a week or 2 later and found the cache this time, and logged my find. The cache owner then deleted my DNF. I guess he didn't want it blemishing his cache. icon_frown.gif

That is very strange! Good thought on saving all the logs.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"