You Won't Believe The New Type Of Hunt

Guest JRT

all,

have you guys heard about the new type of hunt that is starting in Colorado? It is more than a GPS hunt, although it can involve using one. This is a ligitimate treasure hunt. You pay a small entry fee and receive a clue. Once you solve the first clue you start your adventure! Many more clues, riddles, coordinates and map use point you to the final treasure. If your the first person to the hidden treasure you can claim your reward. I have heard the rewards are significant at least a couple of hundred dollars!

Anyway I just signed up for a "mission" and will let you know how it goes.

quote:
Originally posted by JRT:

...about the new type of hunt that is starting in Colorado?

[ ...snip... ]

...the rewards are significant at least a couple of hundred dollars!

No, I haven't. But I have some relatives in Colorado that are interested. Where'd you get the info? Where'd you sign up at?

=-=-=-=-=-=

Opus P

Crathvaf Ehyr

flyingopus.gif

Visit my Buddhist Reading Room.

Actually, this type of hunt isn't new. Catskill, NY has been doing them for years (to promote tourism). I've been working on their most recent one for nearly five years! You get ALL of the clues at once and there is NO entrance fee. Current estimated value of the treasure is $16,000!

Not sure a GPS is needed, but the clues do mention longitude/latitude, minutes, and seconds. I may have to re-read the clues!

If you're interested call the Greene County (NY) Tourism Board in Catskill and ask for a copy of their "Captain Kidd and the Missing Crown" hunt. For those of you not in the area, I'd be happy to check out any spots for you, and would be happy to share any info I have.

(No I don't work for them.

Very similarly, the Winter Carnival in St. Paul Minnesota hides a medallion somewhere in the metro area every year. Clues are release weekly (I think) in the newspaper. The finder gets around $5000, but a bit of notatiety.

There were some complaints this year because the finders got it after only a couple of clues, and they found it attached to the bottom of a can lying (as trash) in some park.

Jamie

quote:
Originally posted by geospotter:

Actually, this type of hunt isn't new. Catskill, NY has been doing them for years (to promote tourism). I've been working on their most recent one for nearly five years! You get ALL of the clues at once and there is NO entrance fee. Current estimated value of the treasure is $16,000!

Not sure a GPS is needed, but the clues do mention longitude/latitude, minutes, and seconds. I may have to re-read the clues!

If you're interested call the Greene County (NY) Tourism Board in Catskill and ask for a copy of their "Captain Kidd and the Missing Crown" hunt. For those of you not in the area, I'd be happy to check out any spots for you, and would be happy to share any info I have.

(No I don't work for them.)

I did a pretty exhaustive search for this on the 'net and found nothing... does it still exist?

> Martin (Magellan 330)

Don't have time to program and record your shows while geocaching? Get a TiVo!

It's still open. It's not a web type of hunt though, purely paper and pencil.

Jared (I've never met Jared) and I have emailed each other over the years about this hunt and our thoughts. He finally put them all together on a web page, but it's nothing fancy. Just random thoughts. Probably won't make much sense without the sheet and map, but it does tell you how to get that info.

It may be a little off-topic for geocaching (and maybe not), but if you get the info and want to discuss it, please email me.

Here's Jared's page --

http://www.csh.rit.edu/~jlyon/projects/puzzles/kidd/

Enjoy, and good luck