Book recommendation for Geodesy?

quote:
Originally posted by BeachBuddies:

Can anyone recommend a good book that describes various coordinate systems and related concepts (geodetic, UTM, MGRS, datums, spheroids, etc)? Probably the more technical the better. I've found a few possible ones on Amazon, but wonder if anyone here has some hands-on advice. Thanks.

Get Geodesy by Wolfgang Torge.

Mr. Torge was my geodesy professor at university in Hannover, Germany.

quote:
Originally posted by Donna G:

Another very technical book, especially if you are having trouble sleeping icon_wink.gif, is _Geodesy: The Concepts_ by Vanicek & Krakiwsky.

Geodesy: The Concepts may be what I'm looking for; but it's out of stock, and the list price is $247! A bit steep. These are the ones I have ordered so far:

Datums and Map Projections

Integrating GIS and the Global Positioning System

Mostly, I want to learn more about coordinate conversion and projections. Thanks for all the other suggestions though.

-BB

BB,

If you really want a copy of Geodesy The Concepts, contact the University of New Brunswick Bookstore This was the required Geodesy text when I took surveying (Geodesy was taught by Petr Vanicek, one of the authors). My copy is paperback & they may even have a used copy for sale. (just to warn you - we called it 'Geodesy the Contraceptive', because it would put you to sleep so fast.) icon_wink.gif

-Donna G

I do not know who makes this available to the public but when I first started in Geodetic Surveying there was a manual titled "Geodesy for the Layman" written by ab USAF COL, the Defense Mapping Agency distributed it and they are now NIMA. I think that the NGS may have a copy for downloading from the NOAA/NGS site. This does cover different projections and coord systems and it is free. There are also so very good papers written on this subject available for free from the nice folks at the NGS.

p

I do not know who makes this available to the public but when I first started in Geodetic Surveying there was a manual titled "Geodesy for the Layman" written by ab USAF COL, the Defense Mapping Agency distributed it and they are now NIMA. I think that the NGS may have a copy for downloading from the NOAA/NGS site. This does cover different projections and coord systems and it is free. There are also so very good papers written on this subject available for free from the nice folks at the NGS.

p

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachers Association

www.ARK-MO-Geocachers@yahoogroups.com

[This message was edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1 on October 28, 2003 at 06:49 AM.]Basic Surveying

[This message was edited by GEO*Trailblazer 1 on October 28, 2003 at 06:52 AM.]