Thinking about a PALM based GPS

In a fit of "modification" frenzy, I tried to hardwire my Garmin Emap into my atv. Needless to say 12v is much different than 3v icon_eek.gif. It was one of those things that you realize just before you flip the switch, but the brain commands to the muscles have already been sent. Now I am the owner of a nice Garmin paperweight!! Garmin wants $100 to send it in to fix it (I have no idea if it's fixable, but I'll assume it is..)

My current thinking is rather than spend that $100 for fixing it is to buy a new GPS instead. I am intrigued by the thought of setting up a Sony Clie NR70V with a Earthmate GPS receiver and a 3' cord from PN teach. I could then mount the receiver on my handlebars and place the PDA in my tank bag all safe and secure. My Emap really has taken a beating, especially from dust intrusion. I also like the idea of being able to use DeLorme maps rather than Garmin maps. I never bought the Garmin topo's due to there high price/low features.. Not real sure if I can use or commute topo maps onto the PDA, although DeLorme does offer a street map package for.

I know this will be an expensive unit. A Palm M130 might be a cheaper route. The PDA is a business write off and I need to stick with the Palm system for one crucial program I have. Also the Cetus program looks promising. Anyone have any comments or bewares?

Be sure to check out the other threads about XMap (Delorme) and PalmOS programs. There are several, but I will sum up my feelings

Advantages:

All your Geocaching data and Waypoint info in one place. Great for when your drive and just want to think about a cache to do on the fly.

The new Palms have easily exandable memory, and you will need it. Maps and Geocaching data can get large.

Lots of different programs that will use your GPS, if one does not do what you want there are hundreds of GPS utilites out there, one is bound to do what you need.

USB map download much faster then serial.

Disavantages:

No one program does everything I need, and for the most part they are incompatible with each other. For doing caches on the fly, I have all the data I need but it is difficult to find the closest cache to me.

Palms are fragile, but it is possible to make them useable and protected, and it sounds like you have thought of this in advance.

Also note that XMap does not support the clie's hi-res mode. In order to use it you must tell the Clie to use 160X160 emulation mode.

If you do get one, make sure you check out GeoNiche it is by far the best "Outdoor" GPS program out there in my opinon. Most programs for the Palm on based on City/Driving problems. Or research issues.

A = A

I use a Palm m500 with the Magellan companion. I agree with what Dan has said. It’s also nice because when you do not have your GPS connected you still have access to all your GPS data. I use both the CETUS and GeoNiche and NavMan the program that came with the GPG. I am still searching for the perfect mapping software. However there are times when I wish I had a regular GPS and am thinking of just getting a cheap one to take out on rugged caches. I have a padded dry bag w/window I use for the Palm/GPS, but I am always worried I will destroy it when I fall from a log (I do that too often.) My suggestion: Get both.

Fathergoose

I have a Palm m130 with the NAVMAN GPS unit (got it from Rand McNally.com). I also use the GeoNiche software for caching. It is a great program.

The NAVMAN runs off the Palm's battery, and I am able to get about 2 hours of use out of a full charge. The NAVMAN also comes with a car power adapter which charges the Palm's battery, so by the time you drive to a cache you have a full charge.

I used this setup for a couple of caches before getting a "real" GPS. I was too afraid of injuring the Palm. I still use it for driving directions on the way to the cache.

homer.gif

"Alright Brain, you don't like me, and I don't like you. But lets just do this, and I can get back to killing you with beer."

I ended up ordering the Sony NX70-V which won't ship till late this month. I did find a GPS that plugs into the memory card slot (here), only trouble being it's a Japanese language product! Someone in a PDA forum mentioned that it was supposed to be released here next year. Sooo... I am GPS'less for a lil' bit. Stinks cuz we're camping next weekend with a nice cache nearby in the dunes. Mayhaps my Dad will take pity on me... icon_rolleyes.gif

I have a Palm Vii and Earthmate. After all is said and done, I wish I would have just spent my money on a nice GPSr. Here are the pieces (I already had a Palm)

Earthmate $130

Cable for Palm $30

Xmap $30

With this configuration, I still had a very difficult time using my Palm for caching. I ended up buying Geoniche (which is a VERY cool program). That was another $25. Because the Earthmate uses the Rockwell standard instead of NMEA, I had to buy a convertor, which was another $40. All tolled, $255, and that doesn't include the Palm Pilot itself. Now I have a solution I have happy with (thanks to GeoNiche) and it is very nice to have all the other things you get with the Palm Pilot (like the MobiPocket app), but it's still a bit clumsy. I've never cached with a traditional unit, so I can't really compare my configuration to that, but knowing what I know now, I'd go with a standard GPSr rather than a Palm solution.

Hope this helps.

dyslexics of the world, untie.