Good or bad stuff about garmin legend

I absolutely love mine. It's my first and only GPS so far and I really don't see a reason to change to a different model.

Features I really love are the onboard map, it's great for driving, all the little options you can display at once in the navigation screen, etc.

One tiny problem I have is that to turn on it you hold the power button for a second or two and to turn on the backlight you tap the power button. I often have a brainfart when I want to toggle the backlight and end up turning the darn thing off. That's probably just me though...

Have only had mine a month or so, but I'm NUTZ about it. (and its driving my wife NUTZ too!)

I really like havein the moving map, and the topo maps are really neat too. The only thing I wish was different, I wish it had more memory, but I can load a metro area and several topo maps or most of a state worth of topo maps!

No real complaints

Norm

If you have the extra 75 bucks, get a Vista with triple the memory and two features the Legend does not have. Barometric altimeter and digital magenetic compass.

Also, be careful with Ebay. One of our fellow geocachers just bought a GPS, sent the money and only got screwed in returned. Never got the unit.

Alan

I've only had mine for a week, but I've been using it everyday (playing, of course!). I purchased the Mapsource Topo Maps and US Roads & Recreation Maps. I was amazed by how much data I could actually load into it.

8MB sure doesn't sound like much, but I was able to load all the street level maps for about 2/3rds of Florida before filling the memory. That also includes all the nautical markers as well.

I looked closely at the Vista but couldn't see paying $100 more for only 16mB more. Yes, it does include an altimeter (very important here in FL) and a compass (just move a little, the GPS will do a fine job).

I bought the suction cup dash mount (perfect) and the handle bar mount for my mountain bike (haven't tried it yet). I'm looking for a BRIGHT, floating soft cover for use in my kayak.

No complaints yet... other than the memory indicator doesn't seem to be working correctly. Mine came with the latest firmware. I uploaded 7.8MB of data but the indicator only shows 7% usage. I contacted Garmin, waiting for a response. Weird, but not a real issue. The Mapsource software tells you the size of the map(s) before downloading to the GPS.

I'd buy it again in an instant.

Robert

http://www.2manytoyz.com/

I've now had my Vista since last September, and think it's a good unit. The rubber band fell off (common to all eTrex's), but that was easy to fix.

As I use my unit, I very much appreciate the extra memory in the Vista, compared to the Legend. I also use the compass quite a lot.

The memory indicator has nothing to do with the map memory. It indicates the use of the other part of the memory. To get a 100% memory usage, you have to:

1. Store 500 waypoints.

2. Make the Favorites list as big as possible?

3. Store 20 routes, each with 50 waypoints.

4. Fill the active track log.

5. Save 10 tracks, each so complex that it will used the maximum 250 points available for saved tracks.

6. Fill the calendar with 100 notes (is there any calendar in the Legend?).

I can't think of anything more.

The only way to see how much of the map memory that's used, is to check the size of the maps in MapSource.

Anders