I have 3 battery rechargers infront of me. Which 2 should I return?

I have read the other posts about rechargers and batteries. I know that slow is better than fast (charge rate). I know that NiMh is the best. With all that in mind, here are the units that I have:

1) Rayovac (model PS3). Charges NiMh, NiCd and Alkaline (AA, AAA, C, D). No time limit is given for the recharging process. Bought at WalMart

2) Rayovac (Model PS4-:). This is the 1 hour charger. Charges NiMh, NiCd (AA, AAA, 9V). Bought at WalMart

3) Panasonic (model BQ-345A). Charges NiMh, NiCd (AA, AAA, C, D) in 5 hours. Bought at Costco.

Are any of these worth keeping or is there another charger I should be considering buying over these?

Thanks and happy geocaching!

Huh. I presently use the Raovac PS3, just for charging my batch of Rayovac rechargeable alkalines, & I use the Panasonic BQ-345A just for charging my batch of Panasonic 1600mAh Ni-MHs'. After reading the posts here, & reading the warning on the PS3,it appears I can use the PS3 to charge both. Does this sound right? I have had no problem with either charger.But nice that the PS3 holds 8 aa batts., compared to the 4 in the BQ-345A.The BQ-345A is a very convenient size for taking along when on a trip, etc. I'll have to do some research on the PS3 to make sure it's ok to put the Ni-MHs' in it, but any thoughts from you fine folks would be appreciated. Thanks

Gary "Gimpy" Strong

quote:
Originally posted by Geo Leo:

Do any of them allow you to use a cigarette lighter plug? Included or optional? How many AA's can you charge at a time with the PS4-B?

The PS4 works great from the cigarette plug, but the cord is an optional accessory. It will charge up to 4 AA or 4AAA, or 1 9V

Member:

banner-small.gif

Where were you guys when I was asking about the PS3 charger?

quote:
Originally posted by Ranger Roger:

1) Rayovac (model PS3). Charges NiMh, NiCd and Alkaline (AA, AAA, C, D). No time limit is given for the recharging process. Bought at WalMart

This is a copy of a letter I sent to Rayovac (bold type is the reply):

Since I have a growing inventory of hi-tech devices, I figured it was about time I invested in the latest devices to power them. I did a bit of research on the charging and output properties of various batteries and concluded I had applications for both rechargeable alkaline AND the newer NiMH batteries. Because of the self-discharge properties of NiMH batts, I felt that alkalines were best suited for my flashlights and remote controls for the TV etc., but I wanted NiMH for my GPS and various other higher draining devices. So I set out in search of a charger that would charge both different types of batteries. I quickly assumed that I would never find one (unless it was major $$$) simply because ALL chargers I found either did NiMH and NiCds OR alkaline - but never both. Additionally, there were strict safety precautions about never mixing the two. So obviously I was surprised when I discovered the PS3 charger. This is the unit I am basically inquiring about. Because it seems 'to-good-to-be-true', it raised a few suspicions and I am pausing before purchasing it. I am hoping you can answer a few questions about this unit that would help me make a more informed decision as to whether or not it is best suited for me.

1. As I have already stated, ALL chargers I have seen are not capable of charging both NiMH AND rechargeable alkalines. I understand to some degree why this is the case. NiMH batteries top out at 1.2V whereas Alkalines go up to 1.5V (correct?). Since I would assume it is a voltage sensor that determines when this charger shuts off, how does it know what kind of battery it is charging and thus shut off without either overcharging (and damaging) a NiMH OR undercharging an alkaline?This is a smart charger and the computer chip can read which type of batteries are in the charging unit.

2. ALL other chargers I have seen that charge NiMH also charge NiCd (assuming because their charging characteristics are so similar) BUT, they ALL have a switch to determine what battery is to be charged. What does this switch do so far as the charging cycle is concerned and why does the PS3 NOT have one? I would have at least thought that it would have a switch to go from NiCd/NiMH to alkalines.The switch is not needed with this charger because of the computer chip.

3. On the package of this unit, it claims to have 'microchip technology' that allows 'individual charging of each battery'. I find this hard to swallow if I understand it correctly. Does this mean that you can place two batteries of dissimilar states of charge, and it will treat them independently? Yes, each battery is charged individually. I thought only the PS4 charger you make does this. If this is indeed the case, why is it that you MUST charge batteries in pairs in the PS3? This would suggest to me that pairs of batteries are charged as one and therefore must be at identical states of discharge. What that means is they do not want you to mix the sizes and types of batteries in each compartment. You can however charge one at a time.

4. Finally, what are the average charging times for an alkaline, a 1600 mAh and an 1800 mAh NiMH battery in the PS3? I cannot find this info anywhere. 8 hours for the 1600 and slightly longer for the 1800

Thank you very much in advance.

Randy

So, after reading this, it seems that the PS3 should be what great little charger; although it doesn't seem to get many reviews. Aside from the PS4, it charges batteries as fast as most others and it's one of the cheapest too. I still haven't bought it yet though. Why? Well, I'm thinking about getting the energizer charger that does only NiCd and NiMH. It too does the same size batteries as the PS3 but also does 9V too. The nice feature is the 'top-up' charge that the PS3 doesn't have. It's a few $$$ less as well.

Rechargeable alkalines are sold with chargers such that the charger is virtually free. You can get 12 AA and 8 AAA with a charger from Walmart for the same price as the batteries on their own. They also come in mini charger packages of 8 AA and a charger for only $2 more than the batteries cost on their own.

MajBach

You can't have everything.

where would you put it?

1compass.gif

[This message was edited by MajBach on March 23, 2002 at 11:58 AM.]

Thanks for the info, MajBach. I've since charged a couple of sets of the Ni-MHs' in the PS3, and it worked out great. But now that you've gotten verifiable info right from Rayovac,I feel much better. There was a bit of a safety concern, because I couldn't find any documentation on the matter. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

1774_600.jpg

Thanks for the info, MajBach. I've since charged a couple of sets of the Ni-MHs' in the PS3, and it worked out great. But now that you've gotten verifiable info right from Rayovac,I feel much better. There was a bit of a safety concern, because I couldn't find any documentation on the matter. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

1774_600.jpg