New Vista Software

CCrew

quote:
Originally posted by Alan2:

How do you? (I cannot find yards in the list.

"Added yards label on trip computer page in big numbers mode."

Alan

Do you have yards enabled?...from the SETUP menu, select UNITS, then under DISTANCE/SPEED, select yards...didn't make YARDS show up in big numbers mode on the TRIP COMPUTER page for me though.

WORKS AS ADVERTISED...

After your trip odometer goes over 99.9 ft, the readout will switch to yards.

[This message was edited by SergZak on November 26, 2002 at 06:03 PM.]

1)Battery consumption is higher then pre 2.39 versions. In addition, when battery level goes to 50% the LCD display begins wavering in WAAS mode.

2) Battery type configurtion doesn't seem to have no effect.

3) Higher accuracy reading then ever seen before ! In a clear sunny day, an accuracy of 7 feet was observed ! Much more noticable effects of weather observed.

4) Much higher consistancy of multiple tracklogs and waypoints observed. Repeat visits to test waypoints result in near identical position readings. +/- .002

5) NIMH batteries are almost useless in the Vista now. Alkalines are the only way to run it with this version of firmware.

The Jumpmaster feature just plain rocks. I don't know how many times I've been on the dropzone trying to do the math on a short string when I should be placing the panels or going up to altitude on a HAHO and find out that the winds are all **cked up by the weather guys. Now I can calculate on the fly and verify in the bird. Attached to a laptop with mapping program showing imagery I can get the spot down no problems when it changes. Just plain COOL. Garmin Rocks for the military!!!

I just purchased a Vista but already the software is out of date. (My unit is running version 2.24!) So it seems worth it to update the firmware.

However, I read the warnings on the Garmin update page about possibly reseting the unit, losing data and possibly having to return the unit to Garmin for a factory reset if the update process goes wrong.

How reliable is the software update process? Should I worry? Is it worth doing the upgrade?

quote:
Originally posted by DARC:

"...1)Battery consumption is higher then pre 2.39 versions..."

[i've noticed that as well, although it would be interesting to know exactly 'why'.]

"...3) Higher accuracy reading then ever seen before ! In a clear sunny day, an accuracy of 7 feet was observed !..."

[i haven't noticed a big change in accuracy (I was getting 2 metre fixes prior to v2.50), but I've noticed that my Vista is now getting satellite locks indoors where it wasn't before ...perhaps for the same reason that you seem to be experiencing better accuracy?]

"...5) NIMH batteries are almost useless in the Vista now. Alkalines are the only way to run it with this version of firmware..."

[How long are you now getting from a set of fully charged NiMH's...? What is the mAh rating of the rechargables that you're using...? Are you running with WAAS enabled and/or your backlight on...? I don't know whether I'd be too quick to jump on the '$$' alkaline bandwagon again; I think that I'd be more inclined to simply pack an extra set (or two) of charged up NiMH's instead.]

ontario1.gif

Hmmm.

Added Jumpmaster accessory.

Added South African Grid support.

Added Indian Grid support.

I think I'll pass on 2.5 and wait until the next upgrade. I'm not planing on jumping over South Africa or the Indian sub-continent icon_smile.gif

The upgrade seem to be basically their long awaited final version for Jumpmaster. I wonder what the 101st Airborne thinks of it?

Alan

The fact that the Vista changed to another time zone if you switched GPS reception off, or back on again, was due to a memory corruption in the unit. This occured only when the track log was full, and was set to wrap (re-use the oldest points as new ones).

Most of the time you ended up in Almaty. This was the infamous "Anders bug", which we were talking about a lot a while ago.

This has been corrected since 2.43 beta, or 2.50 for an official release.

Anders