Vortech Re-Radiating Antenna: those without Ext. Antenna Plug!

I don't know if this has been discussed but just wanted to share my experience with the Vortech ReRadiator Antenna.

My GPS units do not have the External Antenna plug so this was the only option. (I have a couple Rino 120's and Etrex Legend)

I just installed it in my Montero and WOW. I used to get good coverage with the Etrex mounted using a vent clip mount. But when I plugged the Vortech (Truck in Driveway) in I got 4 more satellites totalling 10, all at max or near max signal! Before the vortech, I had 6 sats withhalf or less reception.

Anyway, I just wanted to recommend the Vortech to those like me with GPS units without and external adaptor.

fc8a3de9.jpg

fc8a3dea.jpg

Wow, the antenna portion of that setup looks exactly like the one lapaglia and I picked up to make our own setups. I'm still waiting for warmer weather to do some more testing on mine, but they are a nice addition to have when needed. price to do it yourself is much less than $100, take a peek at our pages:

Lapaglia's reradiating antenna page

brdad's reradiating antenna page

If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits on the highway?

I got the DC operated one and mounted it behind the Rearview mirror so it's mostly out of sight. I took the cables up into the roof cloth and routed the DC to the fusebox. The antenna went to the rear, all cables out of sight.

It's great to just grab and go without messing with cables. One thing to note is that the coordinates shown on the GPS unit is the location of the antenna, not the GPS unit.

I took a drive around today to find a cache and I'm going to buy another one for my wife's car for when I drive it icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by brdad:

Wow, the antenna portion of that setup looks exactly like the one lapaglia and I picked up to make our own setups. I'm still waiting for warmer weather to do some more testing on mine, but they are a nice addition to have when needed. price to do it yourself is much less than $100, take a peek at our pages:

http://home.attbi.com/~lapaglia/ant.htm

http://www.bytethebullet.com/geocaching/reradiating_antenna.htm

_If carrots are so good for the eyes, how come I see so many dead rabbits on the highway?_

brdad is too kind, I see that he listed my web page before he listed his. The truth of the matter is His contains much more usefull information. But from either page you should be able to build one of these from scratch for about 25-30 dollars

A nice tool to have when you need one

Lapaglia icon_cool.gif

Muga Muchu (forget yourself, focus)