Why doesnt my eTrex Legend appear to run with WAAS

Choachy

Ive been curious to see how much more accurate my legend could get, but I cant seem to get it to do anything different than normal.

I have the interface mode set to garmin, GPS mode in normal, and WAAS enabled under the system preferences. I was getting a signal from Satellite 35, even made sure I turned/aimed right towards it, and waiting about 5 minutes in the area, and I didnt get any of the symbols on the satellite screen that I expected.

Am I missing something?

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

Now when I got a replacement Vista, instead of the one with the malfuntioning display, the new one new nothing about EGNOS.

They aren't really transmitting yet, but test data can be received.

I drove around with the unit in the car at several occasions during a day, but to no avail. No EGNOS satellite found.

When I came home, I placed the Vista in a window, where I know that IOR can be received. Then I had dinner. After that, it had placed #33 and #44 (AOR-E and IOR) correctly on the satellite page. Now it knows what to find, and EGNOS lock occurs in a few seconds when I go out.

So, invest half an hour or something and let the unit stand still, preferable tilted towards the WAAS satellite you are trying to receive.

Also note that while it could see #44 only, that transmits almanac data for #33 too.

Anders

quote:
Originally posted by Anders:

Now when I got a replacement Vista, instead of the one with the malfuntioning display, the new one new nothing about EGNOS.

I drove around with the unit in the car at several occasions during a day, but to no avail. No EGNOS satellite found.

When I came home, I placed the Vista in a window, where I know that IOR can be received. Then I had dinner. After that, it had placed #33 and #44 (AOR-E and IOR) correctly on the satellite page. Now it knows what to find, and EGNOS lock occurs in a few seconds when I go out.

So, invest half an hour or something and let the unit stand still, preferable tilted towards the WAAS satellite you are trying to receive.

Also note that while it could see #44 only, that transmits almanac data for #33 too.

Anders

Also, if you recently do a firmware upgrade, you'll often lose almanac data (like from 2.5 to the latest 3.10 eTrex Legend software).

I typically take my GPSr to a wide open area right after I upgrade the firmware and just let it sit for 10-15 minutes and typically show at least one of the WAAS birds (last two sats on the list).

Jason Roysdon

jason.roysdon.net

quote:

Anders

I've done a master reset and tried several times for 1 or 2 hours to reload the WAAS data without luck. I know that I have a clear signal because my Rino 120 units are recieving the data.

BTW... Is there anyone on the US East coast using WAAS with the latest software?

[This message was edited by st_richardson on February 22, 2003 at 02:36 PM.]

I own an eTrex Vista, which I have only used in and around Los Gatos, California and the Pinnacles National Monument (I just got it and started to learn how to use it). I see a WAAS satellite check in every now and then on the device, but not all the time.

The best accuracy measurement that I have seen so far is 17 feet that I can recall. I don't remember if that included the WAAS satellite or not.

From what I remember in the instruction manual, there were only two of these types of satellites up right now. One over the Atlantic and another over the Pacific. Because of this, I don't imagine that you can reach these particular satellites from everywhere. But, I'm no rocket scientist! icon_wink.gif

About 4 nights ago, I was showing off my eTrex legend to a friend who hadn't seen it yet. I powered it up, and explained to him that I havent been able to get WAAS to work yet, and it was very strange to me...

The GPSr acquired a signal from enough satellites in about 10 seconds, and after about 30 seconds(long enough to scroll through the pages), I was showing a 'D' under my all satellites, and accuracy jumped down to 10-12 feet. This was under a cloudy sky as well.

I couldnt believe how fast it happened, and I did not try any of the above suggestions yet. In fact, I hadn't even powered on the GPS since I started this thread.

My time, your time is limited, but time itself is unlimited.

quote:

Have you spoken gently to your GPS units? If the Vista is upset, perhaps due to rough language, it will less likely be in such a mood, that it can really receive these tricky WAAS signals. icon_razz.gif

Anders

You mean it doesn't help to throw the GD thing at the nearest tree? icon_wink.gif

Seriously though I had it on top of a mountain this week. I rotated the Vista 90 degrees every half hour or so with no luck. I know the signal is there to be received because I checked it with my Rino first. Garmin has suggested I download the software again before sending it to them with a $125 check. I'm hoping that will solve the problem as I have hard time believing it is a hardware problem when it stopped working after the software upgrade. I'll also try reloading a previous software version before sending it to Garmin.

BTW... What is trick again to get in diagnostic mode? I'd like to see if it passes the checksum.

quote:

Is it scanning for WAAS channels as it is supposed to be doing, i.e. looking through sats #33 thru #50, changing every 45 seconds or so?

Or does it just sit there listening to the same sat all the time, without success?...

It just sits there. As far as I can tell it has no idea that there are any sats above 33.

I hope to have time Saturday to try reloading the software.

quote:
Originally posted by EraSeek:

Maybe he's just in Battery Saver mode....

Thanks for the reminder. I believe I checked that also.

quote:
Originally posted by st_richardson:

BTW... Is there anyone on the US East coast using WAAS with the latest software?

FWIW, I'm currently using a GPSmap76 with the v3.10 firmware and have no trouble getting the AOR-W (#35) WAAS signal and 3D Differential location. My unit usually indicates well under 3-meter estimated accuracy in this mode. (Don't ask me if this actually makes a difference in the field 'cuz I haven't noticed any!)

Cheers ...

~Rich in NEPA~

1132_1200.jpg

=== A man with a GPS receiver knows where he is; a man with two GPS receivers is never sure. ===