Excellent service and goodies from magellan

I was upgrading my firmware on my Platinum and some how I messed it up. Every time I would start it, it would allow me to push buttons for about 20 seconds before it would lock up and then reboot itself.

I called Magellan and they had me send it in. They fixed it and upgraded my firmware to 4.06.

When I got it back they included a manual, CD, and computer serial cable. I'm not sure why they included these since I got these when I bought it, but I'm still thankful. Can I use the cable on my 315?

They also included a carrying case. I already bought one of these, but I think I'll use it for my 315.

In addition to all of the above, what they gave me that I'm really happy about is the car power-cable. It's awesome. I wanted one, but I didn't want to have the suction cup thing that hangs from the window. I keep the GPS in the cup holder of my truck which is down near the floor and I can easily pick up 8 sats down there. This is awesome because now I can go on a trip and not have to worry about burning up the batteries even if I leave the light on the whole time.

Thanks Magellan.

Did you get a car mounting bracket too? Or is that just for people that have to send it in three times: )

You can use the cable on the 315, but the contacts will not attach very well since the back of the 315 is curved and the meridian cable is for a flat surface. Unless you alter it you will experiance random disconnects (so don't try a 315 update with it, unless you modify it).

Wyatt W.

The probability of someone watching you is directly proportional to the stupidity of your actions.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

You can use the cable on the 315, but the contacts will not attach very well since the back of the 315 is curved and the meridian cable is for a flat surface. Unless you alter it you will experiance random disconnects

While I don't own those two Magellans, I do have one "flat back" (330) and one "curved back" (STMap) and have found an adequate modification to be to simply bend the springy fingers out so they have a longer reach.

Yeah, I considered nutty stuff involving bench sanders, calipers, and planes (buying another cable just seemed like too much work :-) but simply adding a little extra reach to the contacts let them all work for me. I use my curved cable on my flat unit - the very combo you'd have with a Meridian cable on a 315 - in this way frequently without problems since doing that 15 second modification.

quote:
Originally posted by phantom4099:

Did you get a car mounting bracket too? Or is that just for people that have to send it in three times: )

No, just the cable, but that's all I wanted. I didn't want the mounting bracket. Maybe I'll get one if I have more troubles with it in the future. icon_smile.gif