Cracks in the Sportrak cases

mr.toad

I have cracks in the case of my Sportrak Map near the screws. I have had it in for service multiple times and every time I get it back it develops cracks again within a few weeks. Has anyone else seen the cracks near the screw holes return after having them repaired??? How about in other places in the case plastic???

I had the display lens crack on my sportrak map after I dropped it from the case on my belt. When I got it back from getting the front of the case repaired, I found two cracks in the faceplate from the screws spliting the plastic. They sent me out a new in the box unit to fix this problem. Unfortunately, over time the new receiver has started to develope stress cracks at the screws again. This time around I've just been living with them.

After reading here about how much better the sporttrack pro was, I almost asked for one for christmas. But I read the specs. see this post. Since I do not seem to have a reception problem here in the desert, I dodn't make the change. After reading this latest info, I am glad I didn't. Fear not, if Magellan is any good, they will fix the problem, and make it a retrofit for all current owners. If they don't, I would consider that before I bought another Magellan. Thnk I will still stick with my Venture. But thanks for the info.

Mike. Desert_Warrior (aka KD9KC).

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!

I havent had any problems with my case....yet!! (crossed fingers knocking on wood).

It sounds like there is just a simple matter of an incorrect torque spec for the case screws.

There is a thick rubber gasket between the two halves of the case, and I cannot imagine stress cracks forming unless the screws are in too tight.

I would suggest to ANYONE who has a Sportrak, WHETHER YOU HAVE THE CRACKS YET OR NOT, to loosen these screws, then retighten just enough so the rubber gasket starts to be compressed.

I'm thinking this might help with the issue.

I have had my Sportrak Map for about 3 months now, and no cracks.

Of course, being the geek that I am, I just HAVE to see how thing work, so I had my Sportrak apart within the first couple hours of owning it.

When I closed it up, i tightened the screws just enough to start to compress the gasket....

Maybe thats why I dont have any cracks showing yet... ??

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

Well, the screws are not sealed or anything. Just be careful not to mar or deform them. I'm pretty sure that if you tighten the screws enough to compress the gasket, it should be water tight.

The gasket is actually pretty wide, and is the same piece that the keys are molded of. There are interlocking ridges on the gasket, and each half of the case, which I think will maintain the seal with the screws tightened just enough to compress the gasket. The screws also have their own gaskets under the head of each screw.

I doubt if you would have a problem with the warranty. You dont need to remove the screws or open the unit. I would just loosen them so you can wiggle the case halves, then retighten them just enough.

I'm sure if this can prevent the cracks from happenning, then Magellan would probably rather deal with this fix, than having to go thru the expense of replacing complete units (& shipping), themselves....

Here are some pics of the gasket and inside the case, if anyone wants to see whats inside...

Sportrak Gasket

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

[This message was edited by Cracker7M on January 16, 2003 at 01:44 PM.]

[This message was edited by Cracker7M on January 16, 2003 at 01:47 PM.]

[This message was edited by Cracker7M on January 16, 2003 at 02:04 PM.]

I just bought a meridian from Cristo & Co. on ebay under the name of buydesign7. I got for $139.00 and I am really impressed. I noticed the sport trak series had a different design. I also found out that Magellan is discontinuing the sportrak (not the Pro or the Map) and discontinuing the Meridian (not the platnium, gold, etc) because it duplicates some of the other models..at least that is what two distributers told me...anyway look for deals.

look at these cracks. never opened, never tightened. i have faith in magellans service and will not bad mouth them, but this is a problem. i loaded all my data for a trip and fishing for a week. day two noticed condensation in screen area.. not dunked, but took spray from boat.. had cover on. took batteries out and dried unit overnight. then next day noticed bad condensation and unit shut it self off.. didn't come on until day 5.

now this is what i see...

83757_2800.jpg

friggin lines.. 2 of them down the screen. at least it works for now. i will call customer svc and see what they do. i hope for the best.

robbie

83757_2700.jpg

wings_flag.gif

A family that Geocaches together... eventually gets wet.

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE MEASURES AGAINST INSECTS AND OTHER ARTHROPODS OF MILITARY SIGNIFICANCE

I have the SporTrak base model and it has very tiny cracks by the screws. Overall I'm pleased I chose it over the boring etrex base model- the cracks probably don't leak water and I've never had it that wet to find out.

MarcB

Took Log Book, Left Nothing

this can be chaulked up to poor design. the only reason i can think that magellan went to this design instead of the chem-weld design of the 300s is cost cutting---if a 300 went in for service it had to be replaced but now pieces can be replaced.

about the only way to cure this issue is for magellan, or an enterprising individual, to insert brass plugs into the screw holes for the case screw to bore into.

'Get to the point---speak English!!!!'

Some time back, Magellan claimed the problem was oversized screws. They've since changed the screws they use, but you still see people reporting cracks on the various newsgroups. Both the one I gave my daughter, and the replacement unit I got after mine cracked have both developed cracks. They're in virtually the same spot as the ones on the photo's Theole34 put up.

I retorqued or backed out the screws about .25 of a turn. I can see where they would have problems. The molding shows a thin spot real faintly where the cracks occur. I hope the loosening prevents the cracking. I depend on my GPS when I'm backpacking and I don't want to have it go south on me deep in the woods. Ya, Ya, I also have the compass and map as well, that is what I cut my teeth on.

Maxpedition Hard Use Nylon Gear

quote:
The molding shows a thin spot real faintly where the cracks occur.

?? is it starting to crack. my cracks came on really fast. i will be using a waterproof cell bag from now on.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

PERSONAL PROTECTIVE MEASURES AGAINST INSECTS AND OTHER ARTHROPODS OF MILITARY SIGNIFICANCE

called magellan 630pacific time and they are having a supervisor call me back. i may have good news for those that have the ST and cracks. i'll post more later. i too cannot lose the mapping capability for 2-3 weeks. i have become dependant on it. i may buy a unit for my wife also.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

i spoke with a very nice man at Thales navigation, and i am pleased with the results so far. they authorized a fast replacement... they send new unit and then i return old unit. i asked if i get a new or reconditioned unit, and he stated he requested a new unit. i just want a working one.. so we'll see. i informed him that this is a common problem now, and he stated that they are not all aware of it, and will forward all info to engineering.. (scotty??) anywho..

i am pleased so far. i will be caching, and using my sportrak while i await my new one!! bonus.

chalk up big brownie points for thales (magellan) navigation!!!! huge points!! now fix the problem!!! lol

---- robbie

wings_flag.gif

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

i told the guy to do a search for sportrak and cracks. i don't know if he understood what i was saying, it sounded as if there was no question as to what was wrong with my reciever when they called back.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

i recvd the replacement unit today. possibly refurbished. possibly new. screen is clean and clear. case looks clean. i can see where the screws are already stressed though. i will not be relying on waterproof standard even for light rain. this unit will be carried in a waterproof cell phone bag.. one of the better ones. i am curious how many people have noticed stress cracks on their sportraks.

robbie

wings_flag.gif

required reading

My first bible

Great Orienteering Site!

quote:
Originally posted by Theole34:

i am curious how many people have noticed stress cracks on their sportraks.

I believe that the process of looking for the stress cracks is what is causing the stress cracks, so I'm not going to look. icon_wink.gif

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"