Garmin V - Distance between 2 points

quote:
Originally posted by Eswau:

Is there anyway I can manually put in 2 waypoints and have the GPS tell me the distance between the two (neither point is my actual location). Seems like there ought to be a way but it hasn't clicked yet.

Thanks,

E

Turn on the V, as as soon as it boots up, hit menu & choose "use indoors". Then go to the map page, and use the rocker to move the arrow to the point you want to measure from, and hold down the enter button to mark that as a waypoint. Then move to where you want your other point & do the same. Then, with the arrow over either point, hit "menu", & choose "meaure distance". Then when you move the arrow over to the other point, up in the left hand corner of the screen, you should get the distance under where it says "map pointer". If it tries to give you the distance from the last known point instead of the point you created, just put the arrow over one of the points you created, & just momentarily hit the "enter" key, & that should reset the number under "map pointer" up in the corner to zero. Then just move over to the other point. I may not have explained it very well, but it does work. Hope this helps. icon_wink.gif

"Gimpy"

--N2GLS--

Another way would be to create a new route in your V using the 2 waypoints. Once entered it will tell you the "leg distance".

A side benefit of this method is you now have a saved route that you may want to use later to navigate.

Cheers, Olar

"You are only young once but you can stay immature forever"

quote:
Originally posted by Olar:

Another way would be to create a new route in your V using the 2 waypoints.

Another benefit of the route method is that it will tell you the true travel distance. That is if you need to go on surface roads to get there. The other method will give you the 'as the crow flies' distance.

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.

Henry David Thoreau