GPS for a newbie... recs?

josh02

I have a Garmin GPS V and it's great; it is the closest thing to a reasonably-priced, no compromise unit there is. Great for road trips and geocaching, and there's a $75 rebate on it until 7/6.

Be aware that the only negative is that there is a fixed amount of memory, and so you can't fit in like half the country, for example. But if you're travelling across the country without a lot of stops in major cities, you'll be fine. Just load in your destination area plus any stops using the included software, and you're set. Fantastic unit.

One with ALL THE GADGETS YOU CAN CRAM INTO A GPS! icon_wink.gif. My opinion for the best, all-around value? Magellan Meridian. Built-in active compass and barometer, SD Memory Card Storage, and a screen big enough to see while driving.

True, it doesn't have the auto-routing that the GPS-V has, but you said sub-four-hundred, and the GPS-V goes for an average of $425 plus shipping from the 'net.

Alternativly, the Lowrance iFinder is a nice little gadget--given the fact that it isn't waterproof without the flotation bag that comes with it, but it does have excellent value-for-features.

However, for $250 bucks you can get the new Cobra GPS 1000, with an active compass, altimeter, and card storage. The screen isn't quite a sharp as the others, but it does come with a mapping cd for the same cost as a single GPS receiver. Screen is sort of Garmin GPS 12-ish, but it still has excellent detail.

Doesn't seem to be topo maps for it though, but the iFinder doesn't have any available either.

If you don't mind popping a bit more for a nice color screen, an active compass, barometer, and no card storage, but 22mb of on-board extra memory, the new Magellan SporTrak Color is, to me, looking fine! icon_biggrin.gif

Find a MAP 330X package and you've got it made. There may still be some out there. That's what I currently have, and it's excellent.

All things aside, if you need serious car navigation *and* handheld convenience, the GPS-V is the only choice, hands down! icon_wink.gif And uploading software really isn't that hard, just take your laptop with you icon_smile.gif.

Hope you have fun with your new gadget, whichever one you choose!

P.S., The Etrex Vista and the GPSmap 76S from Garmin are also worth looking at!

...Caching In on the Journey

{--Firefishe--}

Flat_MiGeo_B88.gif

---------------------------

The year is 2003.

The name is S.A. Brown.

BrowNAV (Brown Navigation)

---------------------------

Awesome! Thanks for the help y'all (yea, I'm from Texas... icon_smile.gif )

I have the Alpine DVD Navigation in my car, so "serious" roadway useage won't necessary, but I'd like to know where caches are when I take longer trips. I have been looking at the Vista and 76S from Garmin... any opinions?

The V....No question! If you are making road trips, try asking a Magellan to find and route you to the nearest Pizza Hut! And for off-road use (geocaching or whatever) it gives up nothing to anyone! I don't need a compass onboard, I carry a "real" $10 one that works every bit as good as the electronic version, and it doesn't need a single volt from a single battery!(electronic compass=backwards engineering!) A barometer? What for? I know...I know...'cause it's cool....and pointless. I am not going to do anything about my elevation, I am where I am, and my weatherman will tell me if a storm is approaching (him and the dark clouds over my head). And color? I am interested in data. not a pretty picture. Color, to me, is like having my Timex watch disply the time in color....serves no purpose. Incidently, I sell over 20 models of GPS receivers, and I teach GPS navigation. I have owned and used a V since they came out. I pretty much buy a new receiver whenever a better model comes out. So far, it hasn't happened yet with the V. But....I hear whispers in the winds....

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

I love my Vista, the V is nice but like the etrex better. Smaller and almost all the features (except for finding pizza hut) and by the way, I really like the elec compass, is a pain to cache without it now that i have had it.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

quote:
Originally posted by Mannings:

I just bought a Garmin V on EBAY for $430 including tax and shipping. I got it the day after ordering and it comes with a $75 rebate.

It is a fabulous unit!

Um...pretty sure garmin will NOT honor that rebate from online purchase..it says so on the rebate form, if you figured out a way around this..let us know...haha

If they bought it from a dealer on eBay, there won't be a problem. The only thing Garmin is trying to stop is someone buying a used or "grey market" unit. Even if he bought it from a private party, if the private party sends the original receipt with it, there won't be a problem either. Personally, I bought mine from Amazon.com. What a killer unit, well worth the full $500 asking price IMO.

quote:
Originally posted by wyoduckhunter:

I love my Vista, the V is nice but like the etrex better. Smaller and almost all the features (except for finding pizza hut) and by the way, I really like the elec compass, is a pain to cache without it now that i have had it.

It's not a sport unless there is something dead in the back of the truck when you get home.

I love my vista too!

quote:
Originally posted by GeoPernas:

If they bought it from a dealer on eBay, there won't be a problem. The only thing Garmin is trying to stop is someone buying a used or "grey market" unit. Even if he bought it from a private party, if the private party sends the original receipt with it, there won't be a problem either. Personally, I bought mine from Amazon.com. What a killer unit, well worth the full $500 asking price IMO.

Ahh ok, well I hope for his sake they send him a reciept...thanks for the explanation. -Tony