upgrading from a Vista to a GPS V, some questions

Joske

Hi,

I've been using an Extrex Vista for about 2 years now. I'm thinking of upgrading to a GPS V (who knows maybe Santa...).

But I still have a few questions about the GPS V :

=> autorouting on the GPS V, does that mean 'key in the destination and go' or do you have to wait until the GPS V finishes the calculation for the route ?

=> when you leave the calculated route (for example to avoid a traffic jam), does the GPS V recalculate the route automagically, or do you have to stop and order it to recalculate ?

=> does the GPS V have the same problems in large cities as the Vista (too slow when using the map) ?

=> am I correct to assume that Mapsource isn't necessary any more when using a GPS V ?

=> does the GPS V use the same sets of maps as Mapsource ?

=> are there things on the Vista I'll miss if I use the GPS V ?

Can you please let me know ?

Thanks

Joske

------------

"Yo no busco..., encuentro" (Pablo Picasso)

Hello Joske, I never used a Vista so I can't compare the Vista and the V, but I have used for Garmin v for the past year, so I will answer what I know about that one. For autorouting, you do key in the destination, the V will calculate and then you go. This calculation usually only takes a few seconds unless the destination is hundreds of miles away.

When you leave the calculated route, the V will recalculate automatically. (no need to stop)

You still do need Mapsource City Select or Metroguide when using the V if you want any detailed info. such are backroads, restaurants, hospitals, etc. Mapsoure City Select comes standard with the V and you need an unlock code to unlock the maps or you can use MetroGuide maps that don't require any unock codes.

You wanted to know if there was anything on the Vista that isn't on the V. All I can say to that one is that I never heard of anyone selling their Garmin V and buying a Vista unless it was for the dollar differnce.

PS: If you are using the GPS unit strictly for road use, you might be much happier with a Streetpilot III. You will have a color map screen and the unit will talk to you. That is, it will give you spoken commands of when and where to turn. I use the Streetpilot III to get me to the cache area and then use the V to find the cache. The SPIII has a bigger screen that is so much easier to see on the dashboard. Hope this helps.

Having had my V for almost a year now, here are my answers based on my experiences:

=> autorouting on the GPS V, does that mean 'key in the destination and go' or do you have to wait until the GPS V finishes the calculation for the route ?

You have to wait a small amount of time for it to complete the necessary calculations - just depends on where the location is and how you specify for it to do the math (shorter distance, faster time, how much detail).

=> when you leave the calculated route (for example to avoid a traffic jam), does the GPS V recalculate the route automagically, or do you have to stop and order it to recalculate ?

You can set this yourself, it can recalculate on the fly or not. You can even have it do a detour route for you.

=> does the GPS V have the same problems in large cities as the Vista (too slow when using the map) ?

If set on a large area, with detail set high it will sometimes take a while to redraw, again you can set this to your specifications.

=> am I correct to assume that Mapsource isn't necessary any more when using a GPS V ?

This isn't quite true. You must be using Mapsource City Select to use the routing features, however areas that are not loaded are not just blank (major roads are still available as part of the baseline load of Mapsource maps). Plus you will still be able to load other Mapsource products as desired (Topo, etc.).

=> does the GPS V use the same sets of maps as Mapsource ?

See above

=> are there things on the Vista I'll miss if I use the GPS V ?

Can't help you here.

Hope this helps some, get the V you won't be disappointed.

Way back in the days when the grass was still green

and the pond was still wet

and the clouds were still clean,

and the song of the Swomee-Swans rang out in space...

one morning, I came to this glorious place.

I too was looking to upgrade to possibly a V or the 76s. So I borrowed a buddies V to play with it, specfically the autorouting. When I first started it gave me a route that was reasonable since the shortest highway was new and had not made it to the maps yet, but when I got off this highway onto a road that was on the maps and about 3 miles from the house which I was going to, it still maintained I go back to it's original route and travel 17 miles to make the 3 mile journey. Based on that I put my order in for the 76s and I'll watch the screen for routing.

quote:
when I got off this highway onto a road that was on the maps and about 3 miles from the house which I was going to, it still maintained I go back to it's original route and travel 17 miles to make the 3 mile journey.

Was it set to calculate the shortest distance or the fastest route? It can make a huge difference in the routes it chooses. It will, for example, sometimes totally ignore a freeway segment if you have it set to "shortest" and wind you through city streets and, as you mentioned, keep trying to get you to go back to a missed turn if it happens to be shorter that way.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by RangerRick:

If you are using the GPS unit strictly for road use, you might be much happier with a Streetpilot III.

Amen. I love my SPIII. I should probably try caching the "hard way" with maps and the like. Instead I set a waypoint, let the SPIII get me there, then use the Vista to find the cache.

I've only ever had one instance where it did me wrong. Put me at the base of a sheer cliff and the cache was at the top. I was 200 feet from it horizontally, only 1700 feet too low :-)

If Wal-Mart is lowering prices every day, how come nothing in the store is free yet?

quote:
Originally posted by Rxprt88:

travel 17 miles to make the 3 mile journey.

I'll agree with AlphaWolf. They route best when set to "Fastest". Sounds like yours wasn't. Possible also that it didn't have the area maps loaded and was operating off the base maps. Or it wasn't set to recalculate on the fly.