GARMIN MAP 76

Brasileiro

I use mine all the time, & it's very nice. Very user friendly, nice sized screen & resolution, easy to carry in the field & the option of adding the external antenna, when necessary. The only possible downside, is the fact that it's limited to 8 mb. of memory. I use mine only for the cache hunt, so I keep it loaded with 8 mb. of topo maps, which covers a really vast area. I have other gpsr's that I use for road navigation, etc. Overall, it's a great unit. Hope this helps. icon_biggrin.gif

"Gimpy"

As my good buddy Gimpy said the Map 76 is a great unit. I think however you cannot get more bang for your buck than with eMap. Because it takes data cards you are not limited to 8mb of downloadable memory. I have a 32 meg card in mine with Topo, Roads and Recreation, and Metroguide all loaded. From the cache to the Post Office to the restaurant without missing a beat. But if I have not convinced you I do have a Map 76 for sale, drop me an email if think you might be interested.

When I was abt the purchase it, the first unit the salesperson took out of the box had a loose Goto button. In fact it dropped right off. He apologised and changed another set which i used happily for abt 5 months. Then the Goto button dropped off?!?! icon_mad.gif

I sent the unit back to the shop for repairs and after 2 months of waiting, I lost patience and topped up to a GPS V. ( paid quite a bit more too icon_rolleyes.gif )

I'm not sure if this bad experience was just a fluke, but 2 units in a row is too much. I used my GPS 12 for years and nothing dropped off!

So far I've been quite happy with my GPS V altho I find that it's jus a tad less "sensitive" than the GPSMAP 76 (jus a feeling)

Hope this helps !! icon_smile.gif

- Lost?!?!! ... Who? .. ME?!?! -

It's a great unit. Strange about that button problem, but I've had my share of all kinds of electronics bad out of the box...

I use a SPIII for street navigation, and when I get out of the car to find the cache I use the MAP76. It's been great - much easier to read maps and data than my son's Legend. Great reception. Good form factor (big to accomodate the screen and antenna), but fits in your pocket easily, floats... Don't have a need for the tides info, but it's interesting...

guy.gif

Initially I had wanted to buy the GPS V but found it too costly (esp since I live in Sg which has no support for auto routing). But after using the GPSMAP 76 for a while, I grew to like the big screen and it's sensitivity. But somehow I never thought it was as hardy as my GPS 12. With the GPS V, I feel a lot better icon_smile.gif but I do miss my GPSMAP 76 sometimes .... icon_frown.gif

Whichever you get, they are great GPS units !!!

icon_biggrin.gif

- Batteries?! ... no one told me anything abt putting batteries in these things !!! -

I've had my MAP 76 for about 8 months now and probably wouldn't consider anything else. Screen size, form factor, screen resolution, good sat holding capability, multi-use functionality (caching and marine navigation) etc.

Have had absolutely no problems with the unit in any way shape or form.

Solid unit and very good bang for the buck

GLSailor