Jeep gps mount??

Has anyone had success with mounting their gps in front of the driver in their Wrangler? Most of the examples that I have been able to find either here in the forums or through googling put the receiver to the side on the windshield frame or somehow puts the gps in the center of the dash to the right of the driver.

Maybe I am just spoiled, but after having used my GPS V directly in front of the steering wheel on my van for the last seven months, my trial runs with our new TJ with the receiver in the center coin tray seemed awkward and very unsafe. It is harder to see the screen and I have to take my eyes off of traffic to look at it. I had planned on using the normal Garmin mount and put it in front of the steering wheel, but the dash is apparently not flat enough for the sticky stuff to get a good grip. I couldn't get it to hold. icon_frown.gif

I am considering the larger Garmin beanbag mount, perhaps supplemented with some velcro on the dash (that would also have the advantage of easy portability to the Garmin mount in my van), or even a RAM mount, but was anxious to hear about other people's successes (and failures icon_wink.gif ).

Thanks.

Alchemist2000

[This message was edited by alchemist2000 on August 25, 2002 at 04:59 AM.]

I found a Cell Phone mount in Radio Shack, that sticks to windshield (suction cup) that work pretty well for my Meridian GPS. It was only $20...

Dale

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm Diagonally Parked, In A Parallel Universe.

--------------------------------------------------------

I'm using the Ram windshield mount and have found the only problem to be that in the summer the air gets hot under the suction cup and it falls off the windshield. Hooking the lanyard over the rear-view mirror helps prevent tragedy. All-in-all, still the best option that I've found!

Children today are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food, and tyrannize their teachers. - Socrates

I have had the same problem that ChazC describes - the suction cup mount falling off occasionally. However, if you wet the suction cup with just a bit of water when you put it up, and press down firmly to get a good suction, it will stay up for days and days and days... (it hasn't moved in over a month since I last put it on my windshield of my Dodge pickup.)

I too use this mount in my wrangler and it works great. As mentioned earlier the key is to wet the suction cup and it will not fall off. Using the suction cup the mount can be moved to any vehicle.

I also purchased a couple of the the u-bolt mounts so that I can move the unit to my ATV or mountain bike.

ATVcache