Track Up & North Up

Easiest way to tell on the map page is look which way your pointer is pointing. On Track Up, you'll always be pointing up. In North up, you'll simply move in the direction in which you are moving relitive to North. I also believe in the upper corner the "North Arrow" will be pointing where north is. If it's pointing anywhere but up then you can't possibly be using North Up. icon_smile.gif

--

SpongeRob

rwmech@keenpeople.com

www.keenpeople.com

WPWU826

Cache'n Retrievers

crlogo.gif

On the map page with north up the screen is always oriented so that North is at the top of the screen (best). With track up, the screen (landscape) will rotate around your postion triangle with your moves. This cause the screen to be re-drawing itself every time you make a turn (not so good).

On the satellite page, there should be a little tiny circle that you will see on the skyview outer circle. This tiny circle rotates around the outer sky circle in relation to which direction you are moving. BUT this tiny circle will only be displayed if you are in North Up mode. Here> (this is a map76 screen, I assume the Etrex is simular)

satellite.gif

4497_300.jpg

"See the wonderous works of Providence! The uncertainty of human things!" Geo.Washington

[This message was edited by EraSeek on March 30, 2003 at 07:50 PM.]

I prefer track up. The reasom being, my eyes are used to seeing what is coming at me, as though evrything in my view is in motion and coming at me, not me moving towards it. That is how track up works....everything you are approaching is "coming at you"(or at least your icon on the screen)from the top down. One time I absolutely "hate" track up though, is when flying....The state you are over is shown upside down if you are flying South with a mapping unit. Looks just backwards of what a map should look like...that is North up.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

quote:
Originally posted by Cracker7M:

So whats Course Up on the Magellans for?

Art

Course up in Magellan:

The heading of the active leg of the active route is at the top of the screen. If no route is active, North-up orientation is used until a route is activated.

I too use track up on my Merigreen when moving, but like North up when still.

icon_rolleyes.gif

I have flouted the wild, I have followed its lure, fearless. familar, alone; yet the wild must win, and a day will come when I shall be overthrown. By: Robert Service

I use TRACK UP as it makes more sense to me. In flight school they train you to orient a map pointing in the direction of travel while flying. I got used to that I guess. That way the map "fits" the land form below you.

Good Luck

MtM

This Space Intentionally Left Blank

I'm another fan of TRACK UP mode. I find it much easier to figure out where I'm going. I can't remember the last time I thought NORTH UP would be better.

--Marky

"All of us get lost in the darkness, dreamers learn to steer with a backlit GPSr"