eMap in a Chevy Venture (Slanted windshield)

glenn95630

I have an eMap GPSr. In my car (Volvo wagon) it locks into the satelites fine when sitting on the dashboard. But, it can't find the satelites when sitting on the dashboard of my wife's car (Chevy Venture Mini-van). In fact, it has better reception on the desk next to the computer in the house than it does in the Venture.

Has this happened to you? Any ideas why? Is it the slant of the windshield? Did GM put some anti-satelite-signal film on the windshield? Is it only eMaps and other GPSrs do fine? It makes me think that when I go test driving cars I need to take my eMap with me...

Some cars have a thin metallized coating on the windshield to cut down on heating from sunlight or, in some cases, to electrically heat the glass for defrosting. This coating will block the GPS signals - it's not specific to your eMap.

You may need to get an external antenna to use the GPSr in that vehicle - the eMap uses one with an MCX connector and low-voltage (2.5 V).

Yup...It's the windshield. The Chey Lumina van does the same thing. Any of those windshields that look purple or gold from the outside will do the same thing. You need an external antenna to overcome this.

"Never take a sunset for granted. Stop what you are doing and enjoy it. You never know when it may be your last"

On both sides of the windshield, upper corners, you should see where the material ends. I use suction cup mounts for external antennae mounted there, & all is well. I also have to mount my Speedpass (Tollway thingy) in that area so the gizmos at the toll booth can recognize it.

"Gimpy"

quote:
Originally posted by glenn95630:

I have an eMap GPSr. In my car (Volvo wagon) it locks into the satelites fine when sitting on the dashboard. But, it can't find the satelites when sitting on the dashboard of my wife's car (Chevy Venture Mini-van).

You need to use the E-TREX VENTURE in a Chevy VENTURE.

*GRIN*

Sorry, I couldn'ty resist that!

Mike. KD9KC.

El Paso, Texas.

Citizens of this land may own guns. Not to threaten their neighbors, but to ensure themselves of liberty and freedom.

They are not assault weapons anymore... they are HOMELAND DEFENSE WEAPONS!