How much memory does detailed street maps take up?

Ok I'm looking at getting either a gps v/sportrak pro or map/ or a legend. Now these all have different size memory with the sportrak pro being the highest. My question is how much memory do these maps take up? For example I live in St. Louis, MO and if I wanted to load say a 30 mile radius of st. louis? Anyone that lives near st.louis know? Anyone have a general idea? Thanks!

Nathan & Anne

Ive got all of westerny Ny state, and most of Pennsylvania at about 24Mb.

Mostly depends on how dense the region is your trying to load.

I think I tried a small area that covered just NYC over to Philly, and that took up about 20Mb..

With the SporTraks, you can replace the 8Mb basemap with the 2Mb Merigreen basemap, and use the extra 6Mb for regions.

Art

www.yankeetoys.org

www.BudBuilt.com

http://www.ttora-ne.mainpage.net/

quote:
Originally posted by Nathan & Anne:

My question is how much memory do these maps take up? For example I live in St. Louis, MO and if I wanted to load say a 30 mile radius of st. louis?

MapSend Topo appears to want a little over 2MB to create a 60 mile X 60 mile square detail map with St. Louis at the center.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt

I get an approximat 100 mile radius in 6 MB using Mapsourse Roads and Recreation and 120 by 130 miles in Topo for St Louis area. Metroguide based on Boston area will give about 50 by 50 miles.(I didn't have your area loaded in my PC so I can't check your actual).

I've got a Vista and appreciate its 24 megs. Lots more loading space especially because of the Metro with its extra POI's andlocation lokup features which take up a lot of megs.

Hope that helps.

Alan

The software for the SporTrak Pro Topo is compressed more than the software for the Garmin so you can get more map area in the same amount of RAM. That being said I have noticed that the maps for the Garmin seem to be slightly more detailed than for the Magellins. It really doesn't matter because either one will take care of the area you are talking about and quite a bit more. My SporTrak Pro will handle most of the state of Idaho in 1 download. I would be more concerned with what other options you want such as whether you want point to point driving instructions which would mean you need the Garmin GPS V. If you don't want to spend that much money and don't need point to point then the SporTrak Pro is an excellent option. icon_wink.gif

Lost? Keep Going. You'r Making good time anyway!!