Helpful Hints for NG Topo software

mustanglx

I have just purchased the Topo software for PA from National Geographic the other day. The maps are great, the only thing that was a real pain was changing the cd's.

Well I don't know if any one knows but you can copy each cd to your HD and never have to deal with the cd's again.

I remember awhile back that there was a topic on how to do away with changing the cd's and someone mentioned a 'drive emulator', well I think this is much better.

All you have to do is:

Copy the folder called XX_D0X(example PA_D05) to the folder TPO_DATA in the TOPO folder.

There should be a XX_DOX file on each cd of the set.

It does take up alot of HD space. For PA it was around 2.5GB.

I have a link to the page where I got this info if you care.

maps.nationalgeographic.com/topo/support.cfm

I hope this helps

mustanglx

Also here from a few months back.

And if you go to National Geographics web site, you can locate a program that lets you synchronize several states together. I just loaded all the map data files - I skipped most of the first "install" cd and just grabbed the maps file - into the same TPO_DATA folder. Works great.

logscaler.

"It is not fair to have a battle of wits with unarmed people."

Your right Brian, a lot of room sucked up. But I find it a lot less of a pain in the butt the flipping in and out of cd's. And the wear and tear on the cd's was starting to show.

NG sells the cd's at $10.00 a pop to replace them and as I was having to use three cd's just for the local area, I was starting to wear them out. Besides, it was a good "reason" to get a new laptop with a biger HD.

logscaler.

While we're on NG's Topo, is there any way to print a map that spans multiple pages? I'd like to be able to print a large map to put on my wall and plot where I've located caches/benchmarks and also as a weekend adventure planner for the kids: point somewhere on the map that we've never visited and go find something interesting there.

Cheers,

Bruce.

Thompson Family, Would it not be easier just to go buy the maps for your area? They would be on better paper then most people use and you can get as many connecting ones as you want/need and just trim and overlap them to cover the area your dealing with.

But if you want you just have to overlap each section you want covered and print a box full of pages.

And if your in a USFS district, you should be able to go buy one of their fire maps, which can be huge. The ones I deal with - fire maps -are about 3' x 4' and are easy to just trim and overlap.

And Yes mustanglx, NG does sell the single cd's for $10 each, as stated above. That was the price last year - 2002- when I called them anyway.

If you do take them in and out a lot, I would burn a copy of the cd's you use the most and use them first. The problem I had with that is they have a nasty habit of "dropping" out whole sections - 1 square mile, 640 acres - of area.

quote:
Originally posted by logscaler:

Thompson Family, Would it not be easier just to go buy the maps for your area? They would be on better paper then most people use and you can get as many connecting ones as you want/need and just trim and overlap them to cover the area your dealing with.

Hi,

That's probably what I'm going to end up doing, but it does seem a bit of a pain and/or needless expense when I've already got the data. It's a shame the software can't support printing a given rectangular area at a given resolution tiled onto as many pages as needed.

Cheers,

Bruce.