GeoBuddy 2.0

I'm in the middle of rewriting GeoBuddy from the ground up so that

1. It's less Garmin-centric

2. It comes from one clean source base

3. It supports new formats easily

Toward this end, I need to assemble your requests for input and output formats. Here's what I have so far...

R/W Waypoint XML (i.e. XML .loc)

W PCX5 Waypoints (Garmin MapSource)

W PCX5 Tracks

R MapSource tab delimeted

R/W CSV (user specified)

R/W? Street Atlas 9.0

? Streets and Trips (is CSV enough?)

R/W MacGPS

? GPSy

?MapSend

R/W EasyGPS .loc (binary file)

R NGS Data sheets

?/W OziExplorer

Binary PDB format for Magellan Nav Companion

I know I'm forgetting something...

I would love to be able to read and write Garmin .mps files, but that isn't likely to happen so I'm going to just pretend that format doesn't exist.

GeoBuddy 2.0 would support the current features like merging files and bulk mods. I'm also considering having it be the default reader for .loc files so that it could "accumulate" .loc files from geocaching.com and build them into one large output file that can be exported into your format of choice.

Interested parties should go to http://www.geobuddy.com and sign up for the notification email list. If you have a format that you want me to consider, I need DETAILED information on what that format looks like.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

quote:
Originally posted by TresOkies:

+ ? Streets and Trips (is CSV enough?)

+ ?/W OziExplorer

+ I know I'm forgetting something...

for .loc files so that it could "accumulate" .loc files from geocaching.com and build them into one large output file that can be exported into your format of choice.

Firstly : "Dude, you rule!"

OK, S+T Quoted CSV format is just fine. The quotes are important because of people putting quotes and commas in Cache names.

Anything to allow import into Ozi is cool. I haven't looked at doing it yet so I can't say anything more.

As for one other thing I'd like to see:

-Export to ODBC

-Download capabilities

The download capabilities would give you the ability to request ALL of a state or province and geobuddy would do the work.

Ok, that last one I'm dreaming!

quote:
Originally posted by MrGigabyte:

If you need a beta tester for the MacGPS / MapSource / PCX5 side of things, you know where to find me.

I will need a number of beta testers. The best way to stay on top of it is to sign up for the mailing list. To sign up, send an email to

majordomo@www.geobuddy.com

with a message body containing the text

SUBSCRIBE notify

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

I've noticed that while GeoBuddy is compatible with EasyGPS, it is not entirly compatible with EasyGPS's big brother (registered version) called Panterra. The one big thing is the Symbol Field. I can set my Symbols very nicely in GB but when I save the file their lost.

Could GB2 support Panterra or the EasyGPS/Panterra XML format that topografix invented?

Thanks!

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by mrcpu:

I've noticed that while GeoBuddy is compatible with EasyGPS, it is not entirly compatible with EasyGPS's big brother (registered version) called Panterra.

I would love to be compatible with Panterra and ExpertGPS. The binary format is more complex than the others. I need to ping Dan and see if he minds sharing some insight.

quote:

The one big thing is the Symbol Field. I can set my Symbols very nicely in GB but when I save the file their lost.

I thought I had that fixed. Are you working with version 1.0.19? If so, what format are you saving as?

quote:

Could GB2 support Panterra or the EasyGPS/Panterra XML format that topografix invented?

XML, definitely. Binary files? Only if they are easy to reverse or I get some assistance.

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

This is what I would like:

Some interface to geocaching whereby I can Leech all the caches in my area, something like godzilla, this should create like a mini database, with all the info, pictures and maps from mapquest, also I should be able to log my visits to this database then click an update button and update geocaching.com, the idea is if I have my pocketpc, gps and mobile I should be able to geocache anywhere in the world, no need to be close to a pc, landline. also I would always have my caching information available for spur of the moments caching. I can sort caches according to terrain, difficulty, distance from current position, area, even a quality of cache rating system would be nice.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

This is what I would like:

Some interface to geocaching whereby I can Leech all the caches in my area, something like godzilla, this should create like a mini database, with all the info, pictures and maps from mapquest, also I should be able to log my visits to this database then click an update button and update geocaching.com, the idea is if I have my pocketpc, gps and mobile I should be able to geocache anywhere in the world, no need to be close to a pc, landline. also I would always have my caching information available for spur of the moments caching. I can sort caches according to terrain, difficulty, distance from current position, area, even a quality of cache rating system would be nice.

Thanks icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Faust:

Wow, those are some great ideas, but they really fall outside the bounds of GeoBuddy's core functionality. I really like the idea of a Geocaching Mobile Companion, though. There are a lot of us who use Palms as well as our GPSRs, so something like this would be useful.

Maybe the GeoBuddy Mobile Suite. Hmmm...

-E

--

N35°32.981 W98°34.631

13914_200.jpg

quote:
Originally posted by trippy1976:

I'd like to see a product that dumps to MapPoint 2002 format. Unless that is a proprietary format. Then I'd like to see MS get a life.

--------

Trippy1976

The MS Streets and Trips Export is what you want. You then go into the Data import wizard in MP and import the waypoints.

There is no way that GB will ever support the NATIVE file formats for S+T or MP!!!!

Rob

quote:
Originally posted by RAD Dad:

Will this Geobuddy program allow me to create routes on streets and trips then upload them to my Garmin Legend?

ummmm....not sure what to say here....so ummm, well errrr, uhhhh, well I guess that's it.

No BUT!!!....

There is a program called GPSUtil. It is freeware/demoware. If you go into S+T and make your route and save the .est file, GPSUtil will open the .est file and read the route.

The catch is that GPSUtil will only read the Start, End and any Stops you specified. It can not read the route because that is not stored in the .est file. The route is dynamically created from the start, stop, end points and any routing prefs that you specify.

What I do is I take the route that S+T recommends and by using "Stops" I make the route sane AND mark my turns and off ramps. I then save the file and use GPSUtil to put it into my GPS. I believe there is a 10 waypoint limit for the freeware version.

Rob

I hope this XML format you're talking about for ExpertGPS is the bleeding edge new .GPX format. If so, I give it a thumbs up. It just came out on the latest beta version and looks VERY interesting. And useful.

I like the new logo too.

rdw