A hiccup in my V!!

Last Friday I went and discovered a benchmark (LF1368 if anyone is interested in the pics) with no problems. Was very impressed with the V. Even did great in extremely heavy tree cover. Never lost lock at all although did go to 2D navigation several times. Anyway, I got the V hooked back up in the vehicle and had it start navigating a route back to home. This particular route I had created using MapSource and downloaded it to the V. I noticed on the way back that the highlighting the V generates for the route you are on was sometimes off to the left or right of the road I was on. Also, at turns the pop-up screen would show the intersection but no arrow pointing which way to go. I continued on for about 50 miles at which time I looked at the V and it had locked up. The only thing visible on the screen was one very thin horizontal line across the screen. Nothing else. None of the buttons worked. The only way to shut it off was to disconnect the 12V and take the battery cap off. After powering it back up there have been no problems since. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced anything similar? Before the lock up, the V had been on for approximately four hours continuous. If it makes any difference, I had the City Select 4.01 and TOPO USA areas loaded on the V. When I was navigating on the road back to home, I was using City Select. That also was the same map set I used to create that particular route. Sorry for the long post but thanks for any ideas.

Aye, I had this same sort of thing when I took my V on vacation to califorina and then back to Chicago. I played with some routes on my laptop via Mapsource in the motel one night, and when I uploaded them to the V it showed the same thing. The tracks were off the roadway but the eventual endpoint destination was the same. Also, when I uploaded them the V displayed a screen where it indicated it had a problem with the route (maps didnt match) and asked if I wanted to recalculate. I told it NO. It was then along that route I had the same lockup problem you describe, where I also had to pop the batteries and the power cord to reset it.

It only did this twice when trying to use the mapsource routes instead of its own built in routes. So im going to assume that Mapsource's autonav info are a little different then the V's autonav info. Dont know what the resolution to this is, i never reported it to garmin as I didnt try to reproduce the problem.

66427_2400.gif

I have no ideas because I have not experienced this but would like to know what version of firmware you are running.

Hitting menu four times should get you a window that says software version then enter on that should tell you just incase you didn't know. 2.08 is the latest for the V.

______________________________________________________________________________________

Confused New Owner Of a Garmin GPS V Received on 10-03-02

All,

This 'bug' was re-introduced with 2.08 firmware. Was fixed, but now unfixed. Basically, when on the map page, pressing menu, then selecting setup, the lock on road option gets turned off when navigating an "offroad" waypoint. prior to v2.08, when you select "stop navigation", the V reverted back to your setting of lock on road = on. Now it does not. Garmin is aware of the problem, and will be fixing it. For now, you have to manually reselect the Lock on Road feature.

Dave

migo_sig_logo.jpg

Each time it happened, I was following an autoroute, I had both City Select (1st version) and MetroGuide (v 4.01) maps loaded and selected "on", and was right at a border where the two map types met.

I suspect the glitch was caused by the GPSr trying to follow the autoroute across the border between map types. I only use the MetroGuide maps now, and the problem has not repeated.

Worldtraveler

That's just it. I had all the required maps loaded into the V from MapSource. Actually, the area my route was in is all in one continuous area of Mapsource that was loaded into the V. So I know crossing any map boundaries was not the problem in this particular case. I'll try again this weekend and see what happens. I'll be sure to check that lock on road is on and see if that makes a difference.