eTrex Legend

I was hoping a very GPS savvy user could help me with a question. I have an eTrex Legend and while going through the options, I found many interesting things. I could see when/where the sun and moon were and check the best times to fish and hunt. My question/s is/are this, can options be added to the already available ones? Like, could I add something that gives me weather information or something that I can upload/read text files?

As always, thanks in advance!

Rich

quote:
Originally posted by Cybo:

Hey volks, just curious, have you gone out and tried it under some tree coverage? Just to see how it keeps the signal...

yeah,

Its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It held a lock no problem in some trees. The active compass also helps out a bunch here, because even if you do lose lock, the gps uses the last known position and the compass can still guide you on path. (albeit, a little less precise but..)

Very well built unit though.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Garmin Vista

Using Opera 7.1

quote:
Originally posted by gpsrich:

Thanks a ton Thack Pack! How exactly would that help me with what the weather would be like two days from now? That is what I was looking for.

Why you'd leave it out for two days obviously. But something tells me that's not the answer you want to hear. Well, the bad news is there is no way to get weather reports on your Legend aside from what I've already mentioned. You can always watch the weather channel before going out and make a quick note on the calendar. You can get to there from the Main Menu -> Accessories -> Calendar.

Thack Pack - I did just find the calendar notes option today. I have been so impressed with my Legend (have nothing to compare it to) that I hoped to hear that this would be something you could upgrade. When I looked at the hunting/fishing info I saw that you could change the date and get updated info. I figured that a weather report option would have been thought of.

Thanks for all the info everyone!

GFXGuy,

It sounds like you're wanting features that are more PDA-like than GPSr-like.

PDA like the Dell Axim, HP iPAQ, or the Palm devices allow weather forecast to be stored from the internet, notes, real calendar management, off-line (or on-line) internet access, etc.

Garmin makes a PDA/GPSr combination device (the iQUE 3600) but it's battery life is rather short. Most geocachers use a seperate PDA.

Ducks - Flying, great tasting, geocaches of meat

yeah,

Its not nearly as bad as people make it out to be. It held a lock no problem in some trees. The active compass also helps out a bunch here, because even if you do lose lock, the gps uses the last known position and the compass can still guide you on path. (albeit, a little less precise but..)

Very well built unit though.

Nice to read. Mine shipped today. I bought a basic Etrex 9/3 and returned it 9/13 when it died. I ordered a Vista through this site and wondered if it would use the last know position. I'm glad it does after my last search. 3/4 mile hike and 500' climb up a steep hill. After lock I was within 250' unknown direction ( vista will fix that) then it would shut off and I would have to start over. I finally gave up.

The Vista isn't as smart as it could have been, when it reverts to magnetic compass due to loss of signal.

One could assume that it could change over to a grayed-out course pointer, which could continue to give the correct course to follow to your destination. But no, once you loose the sat lock, it will not give you any direction arrow at all. Only the compass rose will work. But that means that you have to remember which course to follow all the time, and "manually" check that against the compass.

The CDI indicatior wouldn't work without GPS, of course, but they could have kept the course arrow, at least. As it is now, the Vista is inferior to an ordinary compass, once it looses reception (which it does now and then).

Anders