Maps, Topos, Brands, Help, AHHHHHHH

tneigel

What a great tread on the pro vs meridian. I didn't understand enough about the actual maps and topos though.

1) Are you saying there are different map cds for each gps maker?

2) Do you get a street or topo or what other kind

of map cd? And more than one kind. Can you even load two types

1) Yes. For Magellan, it uses Mapsend, and also requires a memory card for the Meridian series. The Sportrack has a limited amount of memory built in.

2) The Mapsend Streets USA has all the streets, lakes, rivers, coastlines, parks, hunting and fishing, railways and points of interest for the entire United States. The Mapsend Topo has all these features plus 3-d topographic maps.

Hope that answers your questions!

"There are two different kinds of people in this world: those who finish what they start, and" - Brad Ramsey

quote:

2) The Mapsend Streets USA has all the streets, lakes, rivers, coastlines, parks, hunting and fishing, railways and points of interest for the entire United States. The Mapsend Topo has all these features plus 3-d topographic maps.

I wanted TOPO, but I also wanted the streets so I bought the streets and was later going to buy TOPO. You mean I didn't need to buy Streets and Destinations and should have only bought TOPO?

Yeah, I almost did the same thing you did, but I looked it up on the Magellan website and saw that the Topo had streets and 3-d topography. You can read about it here

Taken from MagellanGPS.com:

The MapSend Topo in the United States software contains highly-detailed 3D topographic maps that can be easily downloaded from your PC to your handheld GPS receiver for a fun and simple way to navigate.

Map details include streets, lakes, rivers, coastlines, parks, railways and points of interest for the entire United States. You choose the regions and level of detail to download for maximum memory efficiency. The data can then be updated or overwritten with new map regions. Topography derived from the U.S. Government Digital Elevation Model (DEM), provides elevation details for every location on the map.

"There are two different kinds of people in this world: those who finish what they start, and" - Brad Ramsey

quote:
Originally posted by Ryan aka 'Cheese':

Yeah, I almost did the same thing you did, but I looked it up on the Magellan website and saw that the Topo had streets and 3-d topography. You can read about it http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=113

Great icon_frown.gif Now what should I do? I wonder if Magellan will let me trade it in on Topo. If not I might have to try to sell it on this site or on Ebay so I can buy Topo.

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

[...] You mean I didn't need to buy Streets and Destinations and should have only bought TOPO?

FYI, the POIs are different for Streets and Destinations and TOPO. S&D POIs cover restaurants, amusement parks, etc. No soup for you with TOPO (at least from my cursory review).

I'm curious as to whether a map could be created using S&D _and_ TOPO POIs!?

FYI, the POIs are different for Streets and Destinations and TOPO. S&D POIs cover restaurants, amusement parks, etc. No soup for you with TOPO (at least from my cursory review).

I dug into the details and also found this out. After reading from many others that Topo is not very accurate (neither is S&D) I'm not sure I want it that bad anymore (I might buy it eventually since it's around $70) from amazon, but I don't "have to have it" anymore). I wanted Topo so I could create maps with it, but after reading other threads about how it can be done for free by downloading the maps I'm not sure I will need it for that.

quote:
Originally posted by 3fros:

I dug into the details and also found this out. After reading from many others that Topo is not very accurate (neither is S&D) I'm not sure I want it that bad anymore (I might buy it eventually since it's around $70) from amazon, but I don't "have to have it" anymore). I wanted Topo so I could create maps with it, but after reading other threads about how it can be done for free by downloading the maps I'm not sure I will need it for that.

Believe me, once you try it...you will love it. I use my MeriPlat to find local addresses while driving around town. With the detailed Topo maps installed, I can see all the lakes, streams, rivers and such around me. I can discern elevation also. The search feature is very nice. For the price, the MapSend Topo is a good deal. The problem is, most users have greater expectations that what the program offers. They are expecting steak at tofu prices. Just give it a try and if you don't like it you can sell in the the classifieds forum; but you WILL LIKE IT. Having said all that, when I go hunting a cache, I will take USGS topo maps along with me as well as Microsoft TerraServer maps to fill in the gaps. Happy hunting!

I have usd Mapsend TOPO since Late May and it has been very valuable and the topo information has been very good. The occasional inaccuracy is from the base data that it is derived from not something Magellan has done. I have seen some grossing about the software from time to time but when I analyzed what they were *****ing about it usually didn't affect the usefulness of the software.