Magellan Sportrak Map

Are you guys on the 4.06 firmware? I can't find "proof" of it in the revision history, but I remember hearing about improvments to acquisition times in recent firmware history (4.0[23] or 4.06)

If you attempt the upgrade, be sure to follow the instructions and clear ALL memory when it tells you to.

quote:
Originally posted by robertlipe:

Are you guys on the 4.06 firmware?

If you attempt the upgrade, be sure to follow the instructions and clear ALL memory when it tells you to.

I bought one yesterday and it has 4.02 installed. Used it for the first time today and it picked up pretty quick in my living room. Didnt get to the part in the manual about software updates, how do you do it ?

kris.

I also bought a Sportrak Pro from Amazon about a month ago and it, too, came with 4.06. So did the MapSend software that also came from Amazon.

As for lock times... try going into Setup and setting it from 3D to 2D (unless you absolutely require elevation info). With 3D, it will require a successful lock on at least 4 satellites, and one of those it will want to be satellite on the horizon. With 2D, it will only require 3 satellites for successful triangulations. At least that's the theory, as I've read on some sites and I think the manual describes it that way, too. In practice, though, even though I have mine set to 2D, I swear it still wants at least 4 satellite locks (if not more) before it will tell me where I am. Only owning/using it for a month, though, the 'jury is still out'.

Also, my understanding is that during initialization, the GPSr needs to receive a stream of packets containing initial info from each satellite, and it must receive that info with zero errors. If any errors occur, it has to restart the stream all over. Moving around can cause the stream to be interrupted due to reflections from trees, etc.) So it's best to just not move it at all while waiting for it to lock.

My Sportrak usually finds the sats in about 30-45 seconds.

I have found that sometimes it can take a few minutes but not often. When it does take awhile I have found that I either have traveled a quite a distance from when I had it last on or I have started to move, like in a car, before it has got a signal from enough sats.

mustanglx