TOPO Maps

petestoy

Just a quick question I am looking at purchasing a magellan meridian (don't know wich model yet) and I am confused as to what you can download to the unit. Using mapsend data you can download maps and routes to the unit wich is fine. What is the purpose of third party software like Fugawi or ozi explore? Can you download any map to your unit? For example can you get a digital map from somebobody then use third party software to download it to your GPS? The one dealer I talked to said no but the other said yes. Reading the literature on third party software websites seems to imply that you can. The reason I am asking is that you can get more current map data then is availble from Garmin or Magellan. Thansk in advance sorry about being long winded. icon_confused.gif

..... The purpose of third party map software is to display, edit, and transfer waypoints, routes, and tracks on a better map than the MapSend map...

I'm new to GPSing, too. What do you mean better map that MapSend map?

Do other maps have more detail, more accurate, more POIs, or yes - all of the above?

Thanks!

quote:
Originally posted by gnawbone:

I'm new to GPSing, too. What do you mean better map that MapSend map?

Do other maps have more detail, more accurate, more POIs, or yes - all of the above?

Thanks!

Hey,gnawbone. Check out this thread for a little more info. Topo Or do a search for "Topo" with the forum search feature, & you'll get a whole lot of info. Hope this helps. icon_wink.gif

Monday is an awful way to spend 1/7th of your life.

As previously stated, only the GPS manufacturer's maps can be tansferred to their units. I would make these my first purchase. without them you cannot update your GPS with detailed maps - either topo or streets type info.

Once you've used these for awhile, you can then check out third party maps -free or otherwise. While the maps might be better in particular topographic types, you can only view them on your PC or laptop which you will not have with you in the woods.

Alan

GPS maps have limited information due to their need to compress topo information so it fits on your GPS. Instead of a few quad maps filling your memory you get all of a state or a half a large one.

The other mapping software provides better information by using actual quad maps which show much more information than your GPS topo's ever will.

You need both if you want mapping on your GPS and to work with data/waypoints on your computer.

Wherever you go there you are.