Bucks Caching Meet Photos

The photos from todays meet are up for viewing at :

http://pub23.bravenet.com/photocenter/album.php?usernum=1953250002

In the Woolpack meet photos section.

Thanx to everyone who came it was a really good day and a pleasure to meet so many new faces icon_biggrin.gif

P.S I added your pics Hornet hope thats ok icon_smile.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

I like the one with D&P looking "worse for wares" (you mean "worse for wear")...

Dan, when you cropped the image, I notice you took care and left all the pint glasses in shot!

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

I like the one with D&P looking "worse for wares" (you mean "worse for wear")...

Tut tut, Martin. 'Remember, it is always bad form to correct others spelling or grammar.' (Well, according to GAGB guidelines it is icon_wink.gif)

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:

By Washboy

Tut tut, Martin. 'Remember, it is always bad form to correct others spelling or grammar.' (Well, according to GAGB guidelines it is )

That's true, sometimes it comes back and bites your a$$

From MCL's last three posts :

In this thread MCL said:

quote:

As expressed ages ago, I am there on the saturday and am available as a helper. I'll be trying to get there as early as possible and don't care how late we leave. (there will be two of us)

Saturday should have a capital "S". The full stop after the word "leave" indicates a new sentence follows, therefore the first letter of the new sentence should also be capitalised. Is a sentence in parenthesis valid?

In this thread MCL said :

quote:
I turned up late with Simong as the chauffer (cheers Simon) and so missed a few people, but nevertheless, I must say I didn't notice you being particularly drunk, as I was there when you left...

Chauffer is spelt chauffeur

In this this thread MCL said :

quote:

Possible, but no reason to withdraw from Jeremy's site because of Us lot, who are nothing to do with Jeremy. In that instance, you would witdraw from these forums,

- Maybe becuase you were ticked off at Jeremy.

So now it gets curiouser and curiouser.

So one is persuaded to concluded that

Capital "U" in "Us lot"

"witdraw" missing "h"

"becuase" should be "because"

"curiouser" Invalid word ? A search of 739 on-line dictionaries cold not find this word. Perhaps it should read "More and more curious"

"persuaded to concluded" should be "persuaded to conclude"

I wont dig any further because my point is made.

Just an observation, it is pointless to pick up others on spelling or grammar, it simply causes needless bad feeling as one attempts to show that he/she is superior to any other.

quote:
Originally posted by someone somewhere:

I like the one with D&P looking "worse for wares"

Where did anyone say this anyway? icon_confused.gif

quote:
Originally posted by The Land Ranger:

In this thread MCL said :

quote:
I turned up late with Simong as the chauffer (cheers Simon) and so missed a few people, but nevertheless, I must say I didn't notice you being particularly drunk, as I was there when you left...

Chauffer is spelt chauffeur

Never mind that, you missed the important one - my name is spelt with a capital G! icon_biggrin.gif

What's your favourite thing?

quote:

"curiouser" Invalid word ? A search of 739 on-line dictionaries cold not find this word.

It should be in there... between brillig and toves. icon_wink.gif

I guess MCL was so much surprised, that for the moment he quite forgot how to speak good English! icon_biggrin.gif

ps you forgot a u there icon_wink.gificon_razz.gif

GeocacheUK - resources for the UK Geocaching community.

quote:

quote:

By Washboy

Tut tut, Martin. 'Remember, it is always bad form to correct others spelling or grammar.' (Well, according to GAGB guidelines it is )

I wont dig any further because my point is made.

Just an observation, it is pointless to pick up others on spelling or grammar, it simply causes needless bad feeling as one attempts to show that he/she is superior to any other.

I don't believe, for one minute, that MCL was being critical. It was a tease, I'm sure, just as was my own comment icon_smile.gif

However, my point (if one was intended) might be that it is not always bad form to draw attention to, or to correct, another's spelling or grammar. Sometimes it's entirely appropriate to turn a spotlight on sloppiness and/or lack of attention to detail (discounting dyslexia and the like, of course).

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:
SimonG wrote (of "worse for wares"):

Where did anyone say this anyway?

In the caption to the photo of D & P. "Dan and Pid looking worse for wares".

quote:

"worse for wares"

Worse for the wares the pub sells? icon_biggrin.gif

Bill

-------------------------------

"Ah, take the Cache and let the Credit go..."

The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, trans. Edward Fitzgerald

SimonG said: "my name is spelt with a capital G!"

Well of course. Now if only Washboy had got *my* name right.... (it's Martyn, not Martin)

I will now turn to Landranger's points, but please read these with the humour they are written with, as in fact I was only teasing Ben, since I know him well enough to be able to. Heck he's gonna be at my house on Friday night, so I'm not going to upset him too much am I?

- "saturday" doesn't *have* to have a capital in every circumstance. There are some where it is acceptable for it not to. e.g. "any saturday in the summer months". Mine, I felt, was one of those types, where I was not referring to a particular date directly, just saying "the saturday-in-the-time-period-we-are-discussing-at-the-moment". However, if I had said "on Saturday" rather than "on *the* saturday", it would have been a capital....

- The sentence in the brackets should be capitallised, you are quite right. As far as I am aware a sentence inside parentheses is valid.

- Chauffeur was indeed my mistake.

- The next couple of typos are my mistakes too.

- Curiouser is a valid word. I was lifting the phrase straight out of Alice in Wonderland. The exact quote is "curiouser and curiouser..." And no, I would not dream of suggesting to one of our great literary authors that they should have said "more and more curious"! Your 739 online dictionaries have obviously not read the classics!

- You are correct. Conclude should not have a D on the end of it.

"it is pointless to pick up others on spelling or grammar". Well actually, I wasn't picking Ben up on spelling at all, and all your examples above that have been my errors have been a matter of spelling/typographical errors.

The ones you pulled me up on that were not spelling, I have given good answers for.

The one thing that I do occasionally pick up on is where the person has used completely the wrong word. That is not a case of a quick keyboard error (which most of mine are, and which we all make and I just ignore because I know we all make them).

Spelling and grammar are two different things to me. If someone were to come on here and say something like "the last director-general of the BBC was Margaret Thatcher" I would expect someone to come on and correct me. Likewise, if I use totaly the wrong word for something, I would expect someone to correct me on what is basically a factual error. Why would you allow one and not the other?

Anyway, I was only teasing Ben, mainly due to his admitting drunkenness on a sunday afternoon (there I did it again!)

Hope that clears things up.

quote:
Originally posted by MCL:

I will now turn to Landranger's points, but please read these with the humour they are written with, as in fact I was only teasing Ben, since I know him well enough to be able to. Heck he's gonna be at my house on Friday night, so I'm not going to upset him too much am I?

Actually MARTYN My name is DAN as BEN has nothing to do with the bucks caching site icon_wink.gif Come on man! icon_eek.gif

By the way, don't bother writing a correction of this post as I know there will be a thousand mistakes! icon_biggrin.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

quote:
Actually MARTYN My name is DAN as BEN has nothing to do with the bucks caching site ..

..oops. How the heck did I get to typing in Ben? I know, I was thinking of Ben, becuase I had in mind the thread about him being drunk at the cache bash, while I was actually tyoing a reply to *this* thread. Just shows what an addled brain can do to you...

No trees were harmed during the production of this posting, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced....

quote:
Originally posted by piggly:

Why bother rising to the bait?

...because a lot of the things he pointed out were errors on my part and I wasn't going to try and deny them. He may be a troll, but this time he was a correct troll (well, mostly)

quote:

By the way, don't bother writing a correction of this post as I know there will be a thousand mistakes!

Don't be so harsh on yourself Dan. I can't find a single one...