The ULTIMATE virtual cache!

Seifer

I had a brainwave this afternoon, how about having the ultimate virtual cache, the idea being this:

I would start off by taking an image file of something like a lunchbox (as it is easy to find a piccy of) and using an image editor, put an image such as a log book inside it. Then I would post it on the forums...and the fun begins!

What people can do is then using their own image editors, start putting things in and taking things out (obviously the first people would have to put something in...!) and we end up with a picture of a cache that doesn't phsycally exist.

Then, you post the image on the forums for the next "visitors" to import and edit, and so it goes on. When you post the piccy you also have to provide an amusing log of your "journey" to find the cache, I will come up with details such as "parking co-ords" and "nearby places" icon_biggrin.gif

At any point, anyone could challenge the last vivitor and say "Hey, with all that stuff already in there, surely THAT wouldn't fit!"

The advantages of this are:

You can cache without leaving your own home

You don't have to buy things to go in the cache

It could be funny if two people try it at once!

I did think about posting it as a locationless cache but then it wouldn't have got approved

Any ideas/critisicm accepted

Mike

This forum post is 2003 to Michael Blitz and may not be re-produced in part or full without prior written consent.

2003 All rights reserved

I was going to reply with quotes, but apparently I am not allowed to according to your copywrite icon_wink.gif

I think it sounds like a fun thing to do but I don't believe that this site is the place to do it.

You have your own website so why not put it on there?

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarsh guys!

I think its a blinding Idea! would love to join in. Lets not put the mockers on it straight away, why not try and come up with a way of making it work with geocaching.com instead of killing it off.

I'll start....

You could place the cache in a location- but only put a log book in it to sign....no swaping is allowed in real terms.....only virutal swapping is to be done. icon_smile.gif

That would be fun.

Pid

--------------------------------------------------------

One ring to rule them all, One ring to find them, One ring to bring them all and in the Darkness bind them!

www.buckscaching.co.uk

I've no objection to Pid's idea of log only caches. After all that is what many microcaches are. But they should be clearly shown to be "log only" so as not to disappoint the kids (of all ages) who are expecting to find something to swop.

That was not what I understood Michael to be proposing as he suggested we could cache without leaving the warmth of our rooms (mind you at the moment that might not be so bad!).

Now where did I leave the car?

quote:
Originally posted by Team Galaxy:

It's already been done in this thread.

Didn't take off...Pity. I had a dead rat and some food and explosives I've been trying to get rid of.

Actually I made an image I was going to post to that thread, but I decided not to in the end. I'm not sure why now - I think I just decided it wasn't very funny.

I don't see a problem with Michael's idea. It's no more frivolous than, say, the recent caption competition, and he's not proposing to register it as a real cache.

SimonG.org

Sitting at home playing "at" caching isn't really playing caching.

So we couldn't approve it as a cache submission.

Yes, I guess it could be done in the UK forum as a thread, but I think some might get a little uptight.

So, here's a possible and maybe better solution.

Plant a cache, using a decent size (not micro) container at a really good location (ie. one that's really worth visiting). Place a logbook in the cache along with some cards. 3 of the cards would have items written on them, perhaps Vicars Dog Collar, spare key for your Ferrari and a "returned" engagement ring. icon_biggrin.gif

Cachers intending on visiting the cache would be asked to think of a "virtual" item for "Swap" into the cache, the funnier the better. All "virtual" swaps must be a sensible size and suitable for putting in a cache, so a "Camel" would not be allowed.

Upon arriving at the cache, a finder would log in the log book as usual, take one of the "item" cards and write on a new card what they have left.

Request that finders log their "virtual swaps" on the site, and again make it as funny as possible. Photo's/pictures of course would be allowed.

Oh, and one more rule, "Took nothing, left nothing" would not be allowed.

If you don't want to do this, please let us know, because we will, it could be a lot of fun.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Tim & June:

So, here's a possible and maybe better solution.

Plant a cache, using a decent size (not micro) container at a really good location (ie. one that's _really_ worth visiting). Place a logbook in the cache along with some cards. 3 of the cards would have items written on them, perhaps Vicars Dog Collar, spare key for your Ferrari and a "returned" engagement ring. icon_biggrin.gif

Cachers intending on visiting the cache would be asked to think of a "virtual" item for "Swap" into the cache, the funnier the better. All "virtual" swaps must be a sensible size and suitable for putting in a cache, so a "Camel" would not be allowed.

Upon arriving at the cache, a finder would log in the log book as usual, take one of the "item" cards and write on a new card what they have left.

Request that finders log their "virtual swaps" on the site, and again make it as funny as possible. Photo's/pictures of course would be allowed.

Oh, and one more rule, "Took nothing, left nothing" would not be allowed.

If you don't want to do this, please let us know, because we will, it could be a lot of fun.

Well all that I can say is that I'd definatly be up for that, and it'd be a good laugh too. I will try and get the cache going in the next week or so (half term) and then we'll see how it goes from there!

Mike

This forum post is copyright 2003 to Michael Blitz and may not be re-produced in part or full without prior written consent.

Copyright 2003 All rights reserved

quote:

Plant a cache, using a decent size (not micro) container

I have a small stock of large ammo boxes...

quote:

at a really good location (ie. one that's _really_ worth visiting).

THAT is more difficult...... but I have an idea.... (we mentioned it to you at the meet)

quote:

Place a logbook in the cache along with some cards. 3 of the cards would have items written on them, perhaps Vicars Dog Collar, spare key for your Ferrari and a "returned" engagement ring. icon_biggrin.gif

Hmmm... now this could be FUN!!!

quote:

Or they could even bring along a PICTURE of the item, and use that as the card!

I think we'll be busy this weekend!

Paul

Team Blitz

White gravel? What white gravel? I can't see any.... heck, who cares!