British Grid on Cache Pages

Jeremy

Great work Jeremy. Cheers for listening to us whining poms and doing some stuff for us - makes us feel all warma nd fuzzy and wanted icon_smile.gif

By the way, where can I find the algorithm/code for converting from lat/long (WGS84) to OS Grid? I'm writing a program that plonks dots on an OS map, but to do that I need to convert lat-long to grid....any help muchly appreciated icon_smile.gif

Cheers again Jeremy!

--

**Mother is the name of God on the lips of all children**

There is a converter available on the UK mapping site that is written in Excel. I converted the function into dot net.

Re: Dutch RD grid - Send me to a location that has the function to do the conversion both ways and I'll add it. My goal is to duplicate the conversions in the Garmin and Magellan units. The WGS84 to NAD27 datum (and back) is also a particularly nasty beast, but one I'd like to tame.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location™

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Chris n Maria,

Sure. Not to be lazy, but if you could provide the link format to Streetmap I'll add it to the UK pages as well.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

It's in your mail. Just a thought - Will OS Refs be in the GPX format as well?

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

That's an excellent addition - thanks!

Just one small point - using Ordnance Survey's GridInQuest to convert co-ordinates of caches from the Lat/Long on the cache page to OSGB, I'm finding that there are small differences in the last digits of the eastings and northings on the cache pages and in GIQ's results. Typically the easting is one figure different and the northing is around four or five different.

For example, E abcd3 N efgh3 on the cache page and E abcd4 N efgh7 from GIQ.

Does anyone know why this would be? I do realise it's a tiny difference - I'd just like to know the reason.

Fantastic, thanks Jeremy!

quote:
Originally posted by Bill D:

Just one small point - using Ordnance Survey's GridInQuest to convert co-ordinates of caches from the Lat/Long on the cache page to OSGB, I'm finding that there are small differences in the last digits of the eastings and northings on the cache pages and in GIQ's results.

Does anyone know why this would be? I do realise it's a tiny difference - I'd just like to know the reason.

The quick answer is that OSGB36 is quite old (that's 36 as in 1936) and has some distortions. The simple "Helmert" transformation which is used in the OS spreadsheet (and geocaching.com) is accurate to only 5m or so. There are more accurate transformations which use a "rubber sheet" model, in which the exact transformation changes depending on where in the country you are.

For the full, gory details try this

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy (Admin):

Re: Dutch RD grid - Send me to a location that has the function to do the conversion both ways and I'll add it.

In CacheMaps I use an excel spreadsheet based on the formula's of Ejo Schrama. His software can be found at http://pocus.geo.tudelft.nl/~schrama/Public/gps/rd2wgs.

I will make my converter spreadsheet available as a separate workbook, so you can analyze the coding.

I will post it on my site tonight (dutch time).

Thanks for all your good work!

BigBirdNL

-- there is no spoon --

quote:
by Teasel:

The simple "Helmert" transformation which is used in the OS spreadsheet (and geocaching.com) is accurate to only 5m or so.

So, I guess the question is "which transformation does my GPSr use - simple Helmert of rubber sheet"? The former, I suspect - which is fine. As long as it matches whatever geocaching.com uses.

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:
Originally posted by Jeremy Irish:

Since I'm not too familiar with who actually uses this format (other than the UK), let me know the other countries and I'll add them as well.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Nobody else uses British grid format. The OSGB36 datum it uses only fits the Earth in the area of the UK and the grid itself is only big enough to fit the UK into it.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching

I've written a small application to run on my Palm (actually a handspring) to convert wgs84 locations to osgb grid refs so that I can pick up locations of car parks etc. to locate on OS maps. I know it can be done on the GPS but as the data is already on the palm from downloads, it saves time and typos.

The only snag is that the package I used to write it is time limited and will only run for 30 dayswithout shelling out some hard cash. I am trying to rewrite it in c using Cygwin and PilRC.

[This message was edited by jeb and co on December 14, 2002 at 02:22 AM.]

quote:
Just one small point - using Ordnance Survey's GridInQuest to convert co-ordinates of caches from the Lat/Long on the cache page to OSGB, I'm finding that there are small differences in the last digits of the eastings and northings on the cache pages and in GIQ's results. Typically the easting is one figure different and the northing is around four or five different.

Could this be something simple like: the Ordnance Survey will probably be using the OSGB datum, whilst those on the site here use WGS84?

See my thread "pick a datum"..... for a chat about this!

Paul

Team Blitz

No, I gave YOU the spare batteries....

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

[Could this be something simple like: the Ordnance Survey will probably be using the OSGB datum, whilst those on the site here use WGS84?

Nope - it is just inacuracies caused by translating from one system to the other. The differences talked about are within the 5 meter range you would expect. OSGB to wgs84 is a more significant difference.

That's as far as I understand it.

Chris

Bear rescues a speciality!

London & UK Geocaching Resources: http://www.sheps.clara.net

Would it be possible for Jeremy to pack the eastings and northings of the OSGB grid refs with leading zeroes to make them both five figures? There could be some confusion as, for eample, SW 992 993 could be misconstrued as being about 140 km from SW 00992 00993.

[This message was edited by jeb and co on December 14, 2002 at 02:18 AM.]

quote:
OSGB to wgs84 is a more significant difference.

No, really, it's like Teasel suggested. The transormation used by most folks to get from WGS84 to OSGB is a simple Helmert transformation. It will be totally accurate for all points in mainland Britain if there weren't subtle distortions inherent in OSGB. As a result, the transformation of some points could be out by as much as 5m.

The Ordnance Survey has developed far more accurate methods of transformation which take into account the distortions (using a lookup table for each square km of the country).

Bill D was comparing the results of the Helmert transformation against the results of the OS's "GridInQuest" utility, which uses the more precise techniques of transformation. Hence, the difference in the figures.

The Helmert transformation, used by GC.com, is totally adequate for geocaching purposes. After all, how accurate are the initial GPSr readings when the caches are placed? icon_wink.gif

=====

There's no such thing as a free lunchbox!

quote:

I just ran a check using my OziExplorer: The datum dufference between OSGB & WGS84 is about 90m in the e/w direction, 70m n/s: if you use 5 digit + 5 digit British Grid figures, then the last digits are 1 metre, so the dufferences you are seeing is 1 metre e/w, and 5 metres n/s: I would put that down 100% to the inaccuracies of the (many) ways of converting between the grids.

There is a very interesting, in depth article on the OS site (www.ordnancesurvey.com) desctibing the various grids & datums, and explains the issues in converting between them. 5 metres is within the accuracy they said would exist.

Paul

Team Blitz

quote:
I added British Grid conversion to all UK Cache pages.

Just to point out that the British Grid figures given are, as you might expect, based on the OSGB Datum, and NOT the WGS84 datum. This does mean you do need to remember to set both the grid AND the datum right on your GPS!).

Otherwise you'll be looking about 90 metres away from the right place!

Team Blitz

quote:
Originally posted by Team Blitz:

Just to point out that the British Grid figures given are, as you might expect, based on the OSGB Datum, and NOT the WGS84 datum. This does mean you do need to remember to set both the grid AND the datum right on your GPS!).

This will only be a problem if you enter the waypoint manually (on Garmins at least). Data transfers (on Garmins) are always in WGS84 format no matter how the GPS is set.

One feature I noticed on the Vista is that if you change the format to British grid, the datum changes to OSGB36 automatically.

-------

jeremyp

The second ten million caches were the worst too.

http://www.jeremyp.net/geocaching