Earth day

As many of you may have seen on the General forum Jeremy wants groups around the World to have a ‘Cache in Trash out’ day on Saturday 26th April. This being the closest weekend to Earth Day. It also comes close to GC.coms 3rd anniversary early in May.

If any groups out there are planning any clean up events great we would love to hear about them.

However a suggestion could be that anyone going out caching that day take an ample supple of bags with them and make a concerted effort to clean up the area around each cache they visit. We could all record our success on the forums stating how many bags of rubbish we collected, even some photos. This does mean everybody can take part rather than those in a certain area.

This is just food for thought at this stage so please feel free to jump in with ideas.

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

Sounds good to me.

If there's an event within travellable distance to me, I'll gladly go for it.

But whatever happens, I'll take along a few trash bags with me next time I go, along with a digital camera.

Now Sarah thinks I'm really weird. Not only do I look for lunchboxes in bushes, but also take photos of rubbish that I find on my way there. icon_biggrin.gif

EDIT: Quick idea... if I can't make it to any event that's organised, I'll spend the day clearing up the area around my own caches. If I don't take responsibility for them, who would?

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

That's a good idea Northumbrian, I will ask the admin community if we can have a special dispensation along those lines.

But don't let that stop other ideas coming in, we might be able do do several different types of "thing".

Tim & June (Winchester)

See June, I told you that sign which said 'Unsuitable for Motor Vehicles' was wrong ! icon_smile.gif

I was going to go to the area near to one of my caches and do a clear up. There is a place where someone has been using it as a camp or meeting place and there is a fair bit of litter needs picking up.

I recently tried the trash out bit when returning to the car after doing a cache but there was more litter on the trail than I could carry, so I picked up what I could.

quote:
Originally posted by The Northumbrian:

How about making it a cache, but where we can only post a note and images but not log it as a find, that way we could perhaps take photo's of before and after the event. I know a cache near me that I could probably fill my truck up.

What do you all reckon?

Nige

Nige, Moss and TGS Stalkers...

We can't manage the weekend of the 26th, if you fancy the weekend before that, I'm sure we could come out to play. icon_smile.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Travers:

quote:

How about making it a cache, but where we can only post a note and images but not log it as a find, that way we could perhaps take photo's of before and after the event. I know a cache near me that I could probably fill my truck up.

What do you all reckon?

Nige

Nige, Moss and TGS Stalkers...

We can't manage the weekend of the 26th, if you fancy the weekend before that, I'm sure we could come out to play. icon_smile.gif

I was thinking about Gliders view, Rubbish seems to get dumped at the bottom of the track, I will first have to locate the land ownerwho is either the farmer to the west of the site or British Gas as they have a pump station at the bottom, this to get permission to take my truck down the track, then a contact with Tynedale council to see if iks ok to get rid of rhe rubish at West Wylam civil amenity site, normaly they refuse entry to commercial vehicles and wont lift the barrier , Then theres that great little pub at Hedley on the hill. as for changing the date, I would go along with that, and then log it on the 26th. see what the others responce is to that idea

Nige

quote:
Originally posted by The Good Shepherds:

quote:
I was thinking about Gliders view,

We had a strange feeling that might be the one! icon_biggrin.gif

It's only a couple of miles from home, so I guess we wouldn't have much of an excuse for not attending... icon_wink.gif

We can manage either weekend, just about, it's Mrs Dans birthday on the 20th and the boys in black and white have an engagement with the red and whites on the 26th.

Should we ask Chris Jackson along with his merry crew, as he seems to be active again.

quote:
Originally posted by Walker Dan:

We can manage either weekend, just about, it's Mrs Dans birthday on the 20th and the boys in black and white have an engagement with the red and whites on the 26th.

Should we ask Chris Jackson along with his merry crew, as he seems to be active again.

Gliders View would be ideal. If I remember rightly there was an old bath abandoned down that track so a truck would definitely be a good idea.

We fly out to Florida on the 24th so the weekend before would be best...it's Easter so any day from the Friday to the Monday would be fine.

Yes, Walker Dan, I think it would be perfect if Chris could come and film...

Funnily enough, I went and visited "Crystal Gem of a Cache" last weekend, which is on the outskirts of Basingstoke, at Vyne Carpenters down / woods at Popley, and I commented in an email to T&J that there was a *lot* of trash in the woods there (its behind the local community centre, need I say more?) and maybe it was a good candidate for a "Trash Out" exercise.

I'm a bit busy over the next few weeks to *organise* anything there, but would be only to happy to come & help (and could give a lift to a few people from Winchester)

Paul Blitz

Noone in their right mind would place a cache THERE....

Today I visited the cache which I had in Mind, Gliders View, I visited the local farmer

who told me the land to the side and the public footpath was his property, but the road down to the gate at the bottom was council owned, I took a couple of photo's of the rubbish that has been dumpedand added a note to gliders View with a couple of photo's, please have a look at how mindless some people can be, what I wiil have to do is go to the council offices in Hexham and see if they will supply a skip and we could load it,

looking at the amount I would think it would take my truck about 8 or 9 loads to get rid of it, I would not be allowed to deposit it at the local civil amenity site as they wont accept tyres, not 100 OF them. Il'l see what the council say on monday and if they cant supply a skip then we may have to find another cache area to tidy up,

sorry to you all for making this so long winded

but it will save me emailing all the local cacher's

Nige

quote:

Today I visited the cache which I had in Mind, Gliders View, I visited the local farmer

who told me the land to the side and the public footpath was his property, but the road down to the gate at the bottom was council owned, I took a couple of photo's of the rubbish that has been dumpedand added a note to gliders View with a couple of photo's, please have a look at how mindless some people can be, what I wiil have to do is go to the council offices in Hexham and see if they will supply a skip and we could load it,

looking at the amount I would think it would take my truck about 8 or 9 loads to get rid of it, I would not be allowed to deposit it at the local civil amenity site as they wont accept tyres, not 100 OF them. Il'l see what the council say on monday and if they cant supply a skip then we may have to find another cache area to tidy up,

Nige

Don't take this the wrong way, Nige, as the view is gorgeous, but what a disgusting area!

Now, as far as disposing of the tyres goes, there are a number of places in the UK which recycle them... how many are close to Newcastle is another matter entirely. (No pun intended).

The nearest place I can find after a two minute google search is...

quote:
SITA Tyre Recycling (UK) Ltd

Tel 01902 408608 Fax 01902 664995

Elm Energy House, Ettingshall Rd, WOLVERHAMPTON, Bilston, West Mids WV2 2 LA

I hope that won't be misconstrued as advertising... I have nothing to do with this firm, and am just pointing it out as an option. It's probably not all that helpful, as its located nowhere near Newcastle, but just serves to show that these places do exist.

It would be a tragedy if the council won't be able to help - a group of people willing to vounteer their time to clean up council land? They should be laughing!

------

An it harm none, do what ye will

quote:

Nige

There was definitely not anywhere near that amount of rubbish when we visited and as Kouros says, the views are great.

The only other places I can think of are 'Hole in the Wall' (but that cache has been archived) or maybe Rising Sun. The rubbish there is not directly next to the cache site, but there is plenty just up the track near the supermarket and the access to pick it up would be fairly easy. You may wish to ask the cache owner for their thoughts?

Another option would be to find somewhere that had already been the subject of random fly tipping and is a good candidate for a new cache. That way people could clear the area, replace the rubbish with a box and agree to visit fairly regularly to pick up the litter.

quote:
Originally posted by Travers:

There was definitely not anywhere near that amount of rubbish when we visited and as Kouros says, the views are great.

Agreed. We mentioned this trash-out idea to Branxholm (who did "Gliders View" a few weeks ago) and he thought we were insane - "you'd need a skip to shift that lot" he said. Now we know what he meant - things really have got bad since we visited it last summer.

quote:

Another option would be to find somewhere that had already been the subject of random fly tipping and is a good candidate for a new cache.

This strikes me as a good idea - more in keeping with the "cache IN, trash OUT" philosophy... (and maybe leave a few binbags in the cache for future visitors!)

Gliders view is out, I appoached the council yesterday and they said that they had already been informed to remove it by the Parish council, they have estimated two skips. They also went on to mention the fact of liability insurance if one of us were to get injured during the opperation on land owned by the council, also the rubbish is technicaly council property, they said that these sort of area's attract (users) and there has been instances that sharps have been found there, so I will go along with whatever comes up for somewhere else. I may also move the cache to a more fitting area.

Nige