Multi-cache V normal cache

I am toying with an idea for a cache, but I don't know if it will be authorised, so comments please.

It's a multi cache, but those who don't want to do the multi-part can skip the trek and go straight to the box. I could put the location in the clue (written in words of course, rather than numbers), or have a little sum on the cache page, or have people e-mail me in advance.

I enjoy doing multis with clues and a bit of a walk, but I know there are many who would prefer just to go straight to the location. So I guess I am trying to find a way to accommodate both.

Whaddyareckon?

S

Personaly I would like a cache to be one or the other. When I place a multi it is almost always because I want people to see a number of places or things. If you hide a cache for this reason, but also supply the final coords first, 99% of people are going to do it the quick way and miss what you wanted them to see. Maybe you have something a little diferent up your sleeve though so i'd have to know the details before commenting any further! icon_smile.gif

Its just a hunt for a lunch box, why be so serious!?! badgerslayer.gif

Dan Wilson - www.Buckscaching.co.uk - Stash Notes, forums & Much more...

Hi Sonya :-),

I tend to agree with Dan, and, being a bit of a cheat I'm certainly likely to look at a clue! I know I've missed out on some interesting places in the past because I've just been able to cache and dash.

With a multi I like the feeling of uncertainty when looking for the final part when the coordinates have been derived from previous clues.

I certainly would prefer a longish walk and a multi and if those who want to do loads of caches each day don't want to attempt it because it will take too long then it is their loss.

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why is it that when you're out for a walk carrying a map everyone asks if you're lost?

I agree with Dan and Liz. I personally like multis, but if I could just go straight to the final location I don't think I'd really see the point in doing the earlier stages.

Certainly there are many people who don't bother with multis, and if you do make it a normal multi (without final coords on the page) it'll get fewer visits than a single stage cache. On the other hand, those who do do it will (hopefully) get proportionally more pleasure out of it than out of a single cache.

I don't think you'd have any problem getting it approved - I think the question is whether it's worth going to the trouble of setting the multi parts when very few people are likely to do them if they can just get the final coords from the cache page.

Why not place two caches - one multi with the separate stages and the long trek and one single conventional cache?

Bill

Interestingly, one cache I attempted "Hard Oiler's Request" is a virtual and a multi. I did the virtual then attempted the multi but couldn't find it. Since then (almost 3 months ago) 3 have done the virtual but only one tried the second stage. To many it must seem a bit like a hiding to nothing when you can log the virtual part anyway. Personally I'm just waiting for someone to find it now before I make a special excursion to try again! A bit like my attempt at "Obviously Built Early Like It Superceded Knights" - The Cookie Crew found it today to that's like a red rag to a bull and I'll be back to look for it.

Lizzzzzzzzzzzzzzeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Why is it that when you're out for a walk carrying a map everyone asks if you're lost?

There’s one particular multi-cache in Suffolk that I’ve wanted to have a go at for a while now. I have to go that way on business periodically but I never have long enough time spare to collect all the clues and then do the cache.

So… as I know the location quite well, an hour spent using the internet, MemoryMap, information gleaned from previous finders log entries, information given by the cache setter and a little educated guesswork, I’m ‘quietly confident’ that I now know the co-ordinates of the final cache. The next time I have to go that way, I’ll be able to ‘cache and dash’ this one. If I find it, then I know I’ll get just as much fun and perversely, a greater sense of achievement from ‘cheating’ as I would have done wandering around a lovely village the way the cache setter intended.

John

Age and treachery will always triumph over youth and ability.

From my View as one of those that would approve it.. it either has to be one or the other..

What is the point of a multi if you can circumvent it!

BY the way.. you may find you get an email from myself or Eckington asking you for the final co-ordinates of a multi.. this is just to ensure that the final cache isn't too close to a previously planted one.

Moss the Boss... Sorta

quote:
Originally posted by Moss Trooper:

BY the way.. you may find you get an email from myself or Eckington asking you for the final co-ordinates of a multi.. this is just to ensure that the final cache isn't too close to a previously planted one.

Moss the Boss... Sorta

I've wondered about that before. I did a couple recently, one a 'straight' cache and followed and hour or so later by a multi. The final cache of the multi was about 100 feet away from the straight cache. In fact you could just about see one location from the other despite it being in woodland.

John

Add this to my previous posting...

I have a multi-cache that, for whatever reason, has not proved too popular. Maybe the fact that it took Hornet a couple of hours to complete puts people off a bit icon_biggrin.gif. The final cache site is about two miles from the co-ordinates quoted on the cache sheet. There is, however, a lovely site for a cache close to the final of the multi, almost certainly within the 0.1 mile limit and I’ve been thinking for some time that as the multi-cache get so few ‘hits’ I might just put a regular cache in the spot close by. Up until now, I’d probably have got away with it as the nearest listed cache is well over a mile away. It seems you’ve got a pre-emptive strike in and scuppered that one. Guess I left it too long icon_frown.gif.

John

quote:
Originally posted by Pharisee:

Add this to my previous posting...

I have a multi-cache that, for whatever reason, has not proved too popular. Maybe the fact that it took Hornet a couple of hours to complete puts people off a bit icon_biggrin.gif.<snip>

John

Omally and I set one that spreads over 40 miles and can just be done in one day.

Everyone who has done it has enjoyed the work that it involves, but we felt it important to stress how hard it was before people attempt it. icon_razz.gif

I woke this morning and my boat was not rocking...for one horrid moment I thought I lived in a house!

quote:
Originally posted by The Merman:

Omally and I set one that spreads over 40 miles and can just be done in one day.

Yup, as one who has completed this cache I agree it could be done in a day - a very looonnngggg & tiring day icon_wink.gif but great fun and a terrific sense of achievement at the end. icon_biggrin.gif

"Fear is temporary, regret is permanent!"

motley. adj. varied in appearance or character.

crew. n. group of people.